All shook up: Sophomore performs as Elvis impersonator

Drake Milligan impersonates Elvis Presley in a performance. Milligan is a sophoore at Legacy High School in Mansfield, Texas.

By Gracie Long, Legacy HS, Mansfield, Texas

Putting on an Elvis costume and gelling his hair, sophomore Drake Milligan slips into his blue suede shoes while he prepares for another show.

Milligan performs as an Elvis Presley tribute artist. He sings, acts and dances just like Elvis.

“I saw an Elvis impersonator one time by accident and really started liking it,” Milligan said.

Drake became an Elvis impersonator at the age of nine, doing his first show on an Elvis cruise. Now, Drake performs on most weekends in front of audiences ranging from five people to hundreds of people. When Drake performs, he does anything Elvis would have done, from talking like him to moving around the dance floor.

“I would like to do perform like Elvis for a while, it’s great to sing his songs,” Milligan said. “Elvis was a great guy.”

Performing takes Drake all over the United States and other countries. Drake travels to Las Vegas, New York, Canada and, of course, Memphis, Tenn., to perform. Most recently Drake sang on “Good Morning Texas” and got the part for a Lifetime short film starring Elvis as a teenager.

“I really like Elvis and it’s fun [performing],” Milligan said.

Drake watches films about Elvis to prepare for some performances. When Drake isn’t performing he is doing regular teenage things. In his spare time Drake likes to hang out with his friends, hunt and fish.

“In the future I would like to be doing this or acting,” Milligan said.