Jarrett, McQuaid, Stowe, and Toufas tie for valedictorian

Amanda Field

Amanda Field

By Brenda Arellano, Tunstall High School

Not only is the class of 2018 the largest class to have come through THS thus far, but there is also another unique characteristic that defines it: there are four valedictorians.

These students, who are in a four way tie with a GPA of 4.66, are Tyler Jarrett, Reese McQuaid, Seth Stowe, and Alexis Toufas. There were always hints at a co-valedictorian possibility, but many people questioned the final decision; however, all of these students have met the criteria to share the number one spot.

In 2016, Stowe and Toufas’ brothers were both tied for valedictorian at THS as well, so their parents are familiar with having more than one valedictorian for a graduating class.

“While I knew Tunstall was a competitive school, I didn’t realize the extent of students who were engaged in all of the rigorous academic courses. My reaction was one of respect and hopefulness that so many students were seeking to get the best out of their high school education,” said Stowe.

Jarrett and McQuaid also expressed their pride and happiness in sharing the top spot with their classmates.

“It’s very unique and I wouldn’t expect it to happen to any class except this one,” said McQuaid.

Jarrett and McQuaid have been friends since they were 10-years-old and are grateful for their time together in high school. McQuaid said his friendship with Jarrett pushed him to strive for this achievement.

“Tyler and I have been friends since were were like 10, so that was where the main competitiveness was, but we were also very supportive with each other,” said McQuaid.

All of the boys attended the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research, so they were able to grow closer there.

“We would help each other study for exams and tests. We would help each other with the common goal to all get good grades on large assignments,” said Jarrett.

Toufas did not attend governor’s school, but took a rigorous course load at THS, including many AP classes. She was surprised when she found out she was a valedictorian. She believes her hard work and aid/support from her teachers and peers led her to this achievement.

“I really didn’t expect it. I was cool with anything really. I figured because I didn’t go to governor’s school, I was already slashed off the list, but alas, the power of Mrs. Nester made me strong,” said Toufas.

In the fall, McQuaid, Stowe, and Toufas will all be attending the University of Virginia. Jarrett will be attending Cornell University.

Read the original story here

• Jarrett, McQuaid, Stowe, and Toufas tie for valedictorian

English teacher refers to music producer in lesson

ANP receives new structure

Fall musical advertisement vandalized

Student safety in jeopardy due to bomb threat

Stay Day ready to wow

Colleges downplay test scores

Gun at Douglass Casts Doubts on Metal Detectors

Killer bees move to River Oaks, threaten students and residents

‘Where there’s a Will there’s a way’: School relaxes rule on fundraising to support ailing junior

Hyped over energy drinks