Godinez Fundamental High School
#28
2018-2019
Godinez Fundamental High School
4
Godinez Fundamental High School
#41
2018-2019
Godinez Fundamental High School

Another Year, Another Heartbreaking Loss for Godinez

Godinez varsity football team gets ready to run a play against Segerstrom High School at the Santa Ana Public Schools Sports Complex on Friday, Aug. 24, 2018.

Christopher Cornejo

Christopher Cornejo

Christopher Cornejo

By Aristeo Miranda, Godinez Fundamental High School

If this was a movie, Godinez would have won.

But Godinez lost once again. They have only beaten Segerstrom High School, their rivals, once in the past ten years.

But this game was different. It was dedicated to Andrew Loera, a teammate and recent graduate (class of 2018), who was stabbed at a party and passed away on Saturday, August 18, 2018.

Sadly, Godinez could not get the win and lost with the final score of 55-0 to Segerstrom.

The game was not close at all as Segerstrom was the better team that night. Godinez was weak in their defense and did not perform well including their offense failing to get at least one touchdown.

Axel Gonzalez, a senior who plays defensive tackle, was upset he did not get to play his last rivalry game due to an injury.

“It felt horrible not contributing to my team, I wish I could have helped them,” said Gonzalez. “The rivalry game is not what we expected, I think we could have planned things a bit different,” he concluded.

Irving Alvarado, a senior who plays offensive tackle and defensive tackle, was also upset of losing his final rivalry game.

“I feel disappointed since it was my last year but I know that we left it all on the field,” said Alvarado. “Something I feel we could have done differently is not overthinking at the beginning of the game,” said Alvarado.

Godinez recently lost their star player Patrick McMorris who left to play at Santa Ana High School. Would McMorris have made a difference? That is the question with no definitive answer.

“When Patrick left we were in shock, we relied on him for everything but it did help (us) develop more as a team,” said Gonzalez.

“I think Patrick could have made a difference in the game but it is a team sport so I don’t know if the outcome would have been different,” said Alvarado.

Mario Lopez, a senior also believes Patrick could have made a difference. Lopez said, “I feel that Patrick could have made an impact because of what a great player he is but the game isn’t just about one player.”

Lopez believes it has been hard to find what’s best for the team since the departure of a specific player. However, for Lopez, it’s just another game. “It is a bad feeling we lost, but at the end of the day, it’s just another game and in all my years that’s the way I always treated it.”

The following week, on August 31, Godinez beat Portola High School with the final score 28-22.

But against Rancho Alamitos High School last Friday, Sept. 14, the score was 29-0 Rancho. Setting Godinez up for a challenging season ahead with 1-3 games tally so far this season. 

This story was originally published on Grizzly Gazette on September 13, 2018.

• Another Year, Another Heartbreaking Loss for Godinez

Sports

Game, set, match: DGS tennis star qualifies for state

Sports

Kicker: a leg above the competition

Sports

A Pair of Shorts and a Pair of Wins to Match

Sports

Senior sets goals high, toe touches higher

Sports

Kicking cancer: Richwine raises money for kids

Sports

Girls’ Wrestling Prepares for First Season at FHN

Sports

Just a cheerleader

Sports

Silent tradition

Sports

Sophomore Girl Skates Onto RAM Varsity Hockey

Sports

Girls cross country follows birthday traditions