Democratic candidate answers student questions at ‘Town Hall Forum’

ENN reporter Haylee Brown interviews democratic candidate Lorie Burch after the Town Hall Forum. Burch answered student-written questions during the forum and had a table set up outside the auditorium before and after for questions. “When I was a student at Plano Senior High in AP history class and in government, I never imagined that one day I would aspire to be a part of that,” Burch said. “But my teachers really inspired me to get involved in advocacy and leadership.”

Haley Medeiros

Haley Medeiros

By Haley Medeiros, Prosper High School

U.S. House 3rd District Democratic Candidate Lorie Burch answered students’ questions and told the Oct. 3 “Town Hall Forum” audience one of her goals included earning their trust.

Government students researched both Burch and Republican Candidate Van Taylor, who could not attend, prior to the forum. Eight students were chosen to ask their questions at the event, which took place in the school auditorium.

“Myself, Mr. McCall, and the other officers of Rho Kappa, our social studies honor society here at PHS, have put a lot of hours and hard work into this event,” senior and moderator Zane Smith said. “So it really means a lot to have this turnout.”

Government teacher Rod McCall said one of his goals of the forum was to keep it friendly and polite.

“We are very pleased to have a very special event here,” McCall said. “This is entirely by the students. They came to me back in May and asked ‘can we do some kind of political event like this?’ and I said ‘absolutely.'”

After a welcome and thank you from Smith and McCall, Burch introduced herself.

“When I was a student at Plano Senior High in AP History class and in government, I never imagined that one day I would aspire to be a part of that,” Burch said. “But my teachers really inspired me to get involved in advocacy and leadership.”

Burch answered questions regarding her stances on equality, mental health, gun control, immigration, trade, homelessness and drug-related deaths. Students wrote and asked all of the questions via a mic set up in the front of the auditorium.

“This community belongs to all of us,” Burch said. “I feel like I have a passion and a skill set for bringing people together from different perspectives.”

Senior and moderator Zane Smith talks to students after the Town Hall Forum. The event was extra credit for government and economics students who attended. “Myself, Mr. McCall, and the other officers of Rho Kappa, our social studies honor society here at PHS, have put a lot of hours and hard work into this event,” Smith said. “So it really means a lot to have this turnout.”

The last day to register to vote for the midterm elections is Oct. 9.

“Make sure you’re registered, so you can get out and vote,” Smith said. “You can contact Mr. McCall. I would be sure that he would be happy to get you to the place that you need to be registered. It’s how we as constituents have a voice in what happens in politics.”

Burch said if elected, she will spend one-third of her time in Washington D.C. and the other two-thirds in Collin County.

“There is so much that a congressional office can do for the actual community,” Burch said. “I’ve taken some time to really outline some initial projects that I really want to make sure that we’re doing from day one.”

Burch said she wants to listen and work with the citizens of Collin County, and she is open to new ideas if elected.

“I realize that there is a chance that not everyone in Collin County will vote for me,” Burch said. “Even if I don’t earn your vote, I hope that I will earn your trust.”

This story was originally published on Eagle Nation Online on October 4, 2018.

• Democratic candidate answers student questions at ‘Town Hall Forum’

Midterm Elections

I have a voice, I want to use it

Midterm Elections

Taking Action

Midterm Elections

Midterm election causes mixed emotions

Midterm Elections

Seniors vote for the first time in midterm elections

Midterm Elections

20-year-old runs for school board

Midterm Elections

Get Out, Vote!

Midterm Elections

Senior students add to the youth voter surge in the 2018 midterm election

Midterm Elections

East Palo Alto Leans Left in Midterms

Midterm Elections

A Time for Change

Midterm Elections

Answering the Call