McCallum High School
#21
2018-2019
McCallum High School
10
McCallum High School
#7
2018-2019
McCallum High School

Take it to the bank

She may not be able to vote, but junior Jordan Bibby is making her voice count in the midterm election

PHONE+BANKING+FOR+BETO%3A+volunteers+for+the+Beto+O%27Rourke+campaign+Shannon%2C+Walter%2C+Trevor%2C+Penny%2C+and+Marcy+who+are+residents+of+McCallum%27s+district%2C+phone+banked+for+Beto+O%27Rourke%27s+campaign+the+night+before+the+2018+midterm+election+day+on+Nov.+6.+

Take it to the bank

PHONE BANKING FOR BETO: volunteers for the Beto O'Rourke campaign Shannon, Walter, Trevor, Penny, and Marcy who are residents of McCallum's district, phone banked for Beto O'Rourke's campaign the night before the 2018 midterm election day on Nov. 6.

Ron James

Ron James

Ron James

By Laszlo King-Hovis, McCallum High School

Junior Jordan Bibby can’t vote yet, but with the midterms just around the corner, she’s getting involved in other ways, like phone banking.

“A lot of times people aren’t interested,” Bibby said. “It’s hard because there are people you’re calling and they don’t agree with you, and you’re not ever going to be on the same page, but it is really nice when you call someone who is like, ‘Yes, I have plans to vote, I’m going with friends.’ Or if someone wasn’t sure about voting and now they are because you called; it’s nice especially because I can’t vote yet to feel like I got someone else to.”

While this is Bibby’s first time phone banking, she plans to do it again in the future. 

“In past years”, she explained, “I didn’t feel like there was a place for me in any of this. There also weren’t many candidates that I cared about.”

It’s nice especially because I can’t vote yet to feel like I got someone else to.”

— junior Jordan Bibby

It’s super easy, you have a script and it’s really simple. When Beto O’Rourke visited Austin with Pod Save America, Bibby also went to see them talk.

“It was a really cool experience,” Bibby said. “It was all focused on the midterms that are coming up and things that we can to do have people be more aware of what’s going on about what their politicians actually believe. A lot of times recently there’s been a really big difference between what politicians are saying and how they’re campaigning versus the laws that they’re passing.”

Not only is Bibby involved in campaigning for Beto; she also thinks he has a good shot at winning on Tuesday.

“One thing he said when someone asked him the same question was that the people they’re asking that they use to create these polls are not really a great representation of Texas,” Bibby explained. “He’s been really good this year at getting people who usually don’t care about smaller elections to go out and vote. I think a lot of people who may be viewed as independent or don’t really care about these elections are going to go out and vote this year. Also, just like the past few days, these days of early voting, turnout has been really high. We don’t know yet what party that’s for, but I can only hope that at the end of this, Beto wins.”

Bibby also is getting in activism here at McCallum with a club.

“Kelsey [Tasch] and I just got it approved,” Bibby said. “It’s the Student of Color and Ally Alliance here at McCallum. We just thought it would be important to have a safe space for students of color at McCallum. A lot of other high schools and colleges have these sorts of clubs that are just there to create a space for people to feel comfortable to where we can talk about our experiences and also talk about different advocacy opportunities around Austin and sort of just like inform people about what’s going on.”

This story was originally published on The Shield Online on November 5, 2018.

• Take it to the bank

Midterm Elections

After the vote: what now?

• Take it to the bank

Midterm Elections

Watch Courtney run!

• Take it to the bank

Midterm Elections

Holbrook Students Voice Their Opinions in Mock Midterm Election

• Take it to the bank

Midterm Elections

So, the Election’s Over… What Now?

• Take it to the bank

Midterm Elections

This I Believe

• Take it to the bank

Midterm Elections

Midterm election ramifications, locally and nationally

• Take it to the bank

Midterm Elections

EHS speaks out: Election day

• Take it to the bank

Midterm Elections

Issues: The Midterms and why they matter

• Take it to the bank

Midterm Elections

Social Media Aides Voter Turnout

• Take it to the bank

Midterm Elections

“The Future Is Female”: Women In Politics