Coppell High School
#43
2018-2019
Coppell High School
12
Coppell High School
#6
2018-2019
Coppell High School

The Korean Wave

How a shared interest in culture has created an entertaining community

Coppell+High+School+sophomores+Elisabeth+Nail+and+Eliana+Ochoa+perform+%E2%80%9CAs+If+It%E2%80%99s+Your+Last%E2%80%9D+by+Blackpink+to+start+off+Korean+Culture+Club%E2%80%99s+meeting+with+a+bang.+The+club+meets+after+school+each+Monday+in+F101.+

The Korean Wave

Coppell High School sophomores Elisabeth Nail and Eliana Ochoa perform “As If It’s Your Last” by Blackpink to start off Korean Culture Club’s meeting with a bang. The club meets after school each Monday in F101.

Sarah Woo

Sarah Woo

Sarah Woo

By Sarah Woo, Coppell High School

Blasting K-pop, laughing students and illegible tally marks on a small whiteboard describes a small glimpse of the atmosphere of Korean Culture Club (KCC).

Every Monday in room F101, the club welcomes students of all backgrounds to unite through one common interest: Korean culture.

Some join to learn the language. Others join to dance, play games and experience each and every small aspect of Korean culture. Either way, people are able to join an exciting community through a breakthrough phenomenon.

“I feel like K-pop is what’s making Korean culture popular in the U.S.,” Coppell High School junior David Yoo said. “People are dancing and singing to it all over Youtube and social media.”

Evidently, the K-pop wave has not slowed down. With BTS speaking at the UN General Assembly this past September, NCT being the first K-pop act to be named Apple Music’s “Up Next artist” and LOONA winning the MTV Europe Music Award, K-pop groups are making a name for themselves worldwide.

However, even outside of music, the impact of the Korean wave has become just as prevalent in everyday products.

“Korean culture in general has gotten really popular recently, not just K-pop,” CHS junior Melissa Ramirez said. “I’ve seen Korean beauty products, clothes and food everywhere.”

The rapid spread of Korean culture, especially inside the doors of the small choir room, has shown it has done more than just improve people’s Korean.

Diving deep into the culture, members of the club get to embrace all of Korea’s cultural differences through interactive games, various songs and complex dances.

“Even though I’m Korean, I get to share my culture with non-heritage people in the club,” CHS senior Jeongmin Park said. “It’s cool to see people with different backgrounds come together with one shared interest, which for us, is Korean culture.”

The unique presence of the Korean culture is leaving a lasting impression on many.

“It’s really important to embrace all different kinds of cultures, especially in this day and age,” Yoo said. “It helps you get more connected with your community in a different way.”

This story was originally published on Coppell Student Media on November 15, 2018.

• The Korean Wave

Arts & Entertainment

It’s worth buying: ‘A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships’ by The 1975

• The Korean Wave

Arts & Entertainment

Woman behind curtain of Cutaway Productions: Deb Drew

• The Korean Wave

Arts & Entertainment

A miracle on stage

• The Korean Wave

Arts & Entertainment

Choir co-president directs for nostalgia

• The Korean Wave

Arts & Entertainment

Ora is reborn on ‘Phoenix’, but she does not quite soar

• The Korean Wave

Arts & Entertainment

Painting in his father’s footsteps

• The Korean Wave

Arts & Entertainment

ESOL theatre students learn stage combat from professional actors

• The Korean Wave

Arts & Entertainment

A haven for aspiring student filmmakers

• The Korean Wave

Arts & Entertainment

Is Sierra Burgess a loser, or just a disappointment?

• The Korean Wave

Arts & Entertainment

Review: Little Mix embraces their feminist side with LM5