Abington High School
#91
2018-2019
Abington High School
2
Abington High School
#166
2018-2019
Abington High School

Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

Donations for Displaced and Burned Animals

Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

A Butte Humane Society veterinarian treating a feline patient who was burned in the Camp Fire in California

Butte Humane Society, with permission

Butte Humane Society, with permission

Butte Humane Society, with permission

By Lily Bonner, Abington High School

From July until this fall, it seemed like all of California was burning. For months, a series of fires blazed across the state. These wildfires turned cities into ash.

One of these fires, the Camp Fire, started on Nov. 8 and burned 153,336 acres. It burned until Nov. 25 when it was 100% contained. On Dec. 12, the Butte County Sheriff confirmed that 3 people were still unaccounted for and that there have been 86 fatalities. The amount of death and destruction makes the Camp Fire the deadliest wildfire in California history.

Towns like Paradise, along with many towns in Northern California’s Butte County, have been ruined and it will take months, maybe years, to rebuild the thousands of homes destroyed.

To date we have provided much needed supplies and food to over 6,000 animals and their displaced families.”

— Katrina Woodcox, Butte Humane Society's Executive Director

Although most people think of the loss of human life and land, there were also many family pets and wild animals displaced and injured that are currently in need of help. The Butte Humane Society in Butte County has been working extremely hard to serve them.

Katrina Woodcox, the executive director of the Butte Humane Society, said that the Butte Humane Society is “mostly seeing dogs and cats displaced by the fire, but sometimes rabbits.”  She added that “Large animals and livestock are being cared for in other shelter sites.”

When asked how people could help, Woodcox said that the BHS could use “all things dog and cat related” and that “right now we are in need of dog and cat beds, dog and cat toys, bowls and large/extra-large harnesses. Gift cards to purchase items not currently in our 5,500 square foot pet food and supply pantry would also be helpful.”

Their free pantry, which is open 7 days a week from 9-5, is available to anyone affected by the Camp Fire.  Their website says, “If you were evacuated due to the Camp Fire, please come get what you need for your furry friend!”  Woodcox said that “to date we have provided much needed supplies and food to over 6,000 animals and their displaced families.”

The BHS clinic is also caring for 20 burned cats. Woodcox said that “this is a long process and by the time they are cleared for release, they will have been with us for about 45 days.” They are also “housing 30 cats that were evacuated from the fire” and “for the next 6-12 months, the BHS will be providing long-term after care for the animals of the Camp Fire,” said Woodcox.

If you would like to help, the BHS is accepting monetary donations which Woodcox said “will be used to care for Camp Fire animals, as well as to provide free vaccines, microchips, health exams and spays/neuters in the upcoming weeks and months for those who have lost their homes in this tragedy.”  The BHS also has a wish list on Amazon.

Students, faculty, and staff at Abington High School can donate items from Dec. 17-20 during all lunches, where members of the Green Wave Gazette will be collecting them. A box will also be located in Ms. Pflaumer’s room 2215.

This story was originally published on The Green Wave Gazette on December 16, 2018.

• Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

California Fires

Students evacuate throughout southern California due to wildfires

• Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

California Fires

Woolsey Fire destroys Gindling Hilltop Camp

• Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

California Fires

Fire survivor shares experience

• Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

California Fires

Community grieves double tragedy

• Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

California Fires

In times of destruction, many feel grateful to return home

• Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

California Fires

Reflecting on the California wildfire crisis

• Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

California Fires

Deadly Camp Fire Brings Devastation to Butte County

• Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

California Fires

Deadly Woolsey Fire hits Jewish camps, schools, homes

• Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

California Fires

Recap of the Recent California Fires

• Helping Pets Hurt in the Camp Fire

California Fires

Unhealthy Air Quality Interrupts Fundraising Friday