Wylie East High School
#103
2018-2019
Wylie East High School
10
Wylie East High School
#54
2018-2019
Wylie East High School

Sweet bling

Ring Pop takes center stage at annual ring ceremony

Sweet bling

Uncandy choice \ Junior Cam Sipe shows off his ring pop after receiving it at the annual ring ceremony Nov. 29. Sipe decided to be presented with a ring pop to save money due to the high prices of class rings. “It’s better to buy a ring at 7/11 than to pay hundreds of dollars for one,” Sipe said.

courtesy photo

courtesy photo

courtesy photo

By Enoch Olajimi, Wylie East High School

Class of 2020 held its annual ring ceremony Thursday, Nov 29. Juniors were presented with their elegant and deeply refined class rings by their most influential teachers to celebrate their progress in high school and upcoming graduation.

Junior Camden Sipe was presented with the sweetest ring of all, grabbing the attention of the whole audience.

We were joking about how you could turn in any ring to get presented one and I couldn’t miss out on this opportunity.”

— Camden Sipe, junior

Sipe came up with the idea to be presented with a blue raspberry ring pop as a way to participate in the ceremony without spending hundreds of dollars on a ‘real’ ring.

“I got the idea during band class with my friends. We were joking about how you could turn in any ring to get presented one and I couldn’t miss out on this opportunity,” Sipe said.

Mixed reactions from the audience after seeing such a sugary presentation engulfed the room. Some were confused, humored or impassive after seeing the event unfold.

“Most people were confused, but I did manage to get a few laughs,” Sipe said.

Sipe invited 7th grade history teacher Douglas Grether to present his ring at the ceremony as a way to thank him for helping him enjoy school.

“Knowing Cam, the fact that he chose a “ring pop” was just icing on the cake for me as a teacher. I was a bit surprised: I thought for a moment that maybe I had been given the wrong item, but I think it was perfect,” 7th grade history teacher Douglas Grether said.

The office staff was just as surprised, but they still accepted the ring due to the rule allowing any ring to be presented.

“All I could say was ‘wow’, it was the first time in my career that a student turned in a ring pop for the ceremony. So weird,” office receptionist Marcie Pickard said.

Since the ceremony, Sipe has not worn the ring, instead he keeps it safe at home to avoid any damage to it.

“The ring is on my desk at home with no intention of being removed. I mean, it’s better to buy a ring at 7/11 than to pay hundreds of dollars for one,” Sipe said.

This story was originally published on Blue Print on December 1, 2018.

• Sweet bling

LHS students make a difference in the Dominican Republic

• Sweet bling

Countdown to SAT

• Sweet bling

Town Hall addresses teacher housing as development grows in Peninsula

• Sweet bling

Tiny Tomahawks celebrate 40 years of early childhood education

• Sweet bling

Middle School

Indoor teams take wins in Portage

• Sweet bling

Thousands of MoCo students march for gun control March 14

• Sweet bling

Creating With The Basics

• Sweet bling

Citizens experience sense of community with Spring Music Series

• Sweet bling

Mid-year graduates say goodbye to Wakefield, hello to their future

• Sweet bling

Roller coasters speak loudly in library