Pleasant Valley High School
#11
2018-2019
Pleasant Valley High School
7
Pleasant Valley High School
#36
2018-2019
Pleasant Valley High School

Time to change the rankings

Time to change the rankings

The Pleasant Valley Girls basketball team celebrates their victory against the 2nd ranked North Scott Lancers.

Maya McClain

Maya McClain

Maya McClain

By Carli Spelhaug, Pleasant Valley High School

The Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union (IGHSAU) is in charge of making all rankings and pairings for all girls’ sports in the state of Iowa. The way they come up with these rankings is not the best option and it’s time they change it.

IGHSAU makes weekly rankings based on how the teams performed in their previous games. These rankings throughout the year don’t mean a whole lot, but by the end of the year every team wants to be in the top 8 because that means they get home court advantage for the playoff games.

Every team in the state has their own opinion about the rankings and how they are made, but for Pleasant Valley Girls’ basketball, they feel like there is a better system that could be used.

“I think they need to get the media/coaches input, similar to how the Iowa Boys Association does it. I respect the IGHSAU and all they do for girls sports in the state of Iowa. However, I do think there could be a better way to do rankings by getting more input from more people in the state,” varsity girls’ basketball coach, Jennifer Goetz, said.

The frustration from PVGBB came last year when they lost to a ranked North Scott team and dropped six spots in the rankings. It was their first loss of the season and they still dropped below many teams that had worse records than them.

Varsity player, Adrea Arthofer, stated, “I think it’s simply a group of people that make assumptions of teams, without even seeing them play. It seems like they have a core group of teams that they believe will be good at the beginning of the season, and they stick strictly to that.”

This year, the Spartans recently beat the 2nd ranked North Scott Lancers, but they didn’t move up a single spot in the rankings while the Lancers only moved down one spot.

“It’s just frustrating because we work so hard and win tough games but ultimately we are defined by a rank. I think it also shows the hypocrisy of it all, in that there aren’t any rules or guidelines when making rankings,” Arthofer explained. “I think it’s time for a change in the system.”

This story was originally published on Spartan Shield on December 21, 2018.

• Time to change the rankings

Shattering group stereotypes: the duality of acting and athletics

• Time to change the rankings

Arts & Entertainment

Senior takes first lead role

• Time to change the rankings

Arts & Entertainment

Transmedia shows become entertainment fad

• Time to change the rankings

Opinions

Disconnected

• Time to change the rankings

Running on Empty

• Time to change the rankings

Protests: Anti-abortion protesters assemble in front of DGN

• Time to change the rankings

Belmont’s farmers’ market vendors build close community

• Time to change the rankings

Facing death twice hasn’t stopped me from living

• Time to change the rankings

Going the distance

• Time to change the rankings

Opinions

The Diminishing Role of Letter Writing in a Digital World