Stillwater Area High School
#25
2018-2019
Stillwater Area High School
12
Stillwater Area High School
#14
2018-2019
Stillwater Area High School

‘Thank U, Next’ by Ariana Grande promotes self love

Junior Allie Smith listens to Grande's new song. It has been at the number one spot of the Top 100 Billboard Charts for two consecutive weeks.

Photo by Julia Bennett

Photo by Julia Bennett

Photo by Julia Bennett

By Julia Bennett, Stillwater Area High School

Ariana Grande’s new hit song, Thank U, Next, got her to the number one slot of the Top 100 Billboard Charts for the first time in her career.  Celebrities everywhere are applauding her for releasing this song promoting self-love, confidence and girl power. Teenage girls around the world are going to social media to express their gratitude towards Grande for her recently released song.

The new hit single begins by Ariana thanking all her exes and summarizing the overall relationships. Those mentioned include Big Sean, Ricky Alvarez and her ex-fiance Pete Davidson. Grande also thanks the late Mac Miller for being an angel throughout their two-year relationship. She goes on to sing about what each relationship taught her and how she has already found someone else to love: herself.

Grande has had a rough time within the past few years. She has had to persevere through a bombing at her concert in Manchester, her ex-boyfriend passing away, and a failed engagement. Throughout it all, she has come out on top and this song only further proves that.

“It sort of makes it better for other people who have gone through similar things,” junior Sophie Browning explained, “because they see themselves those are temporary.”

Her current heartbreak did not leave her defeated, but rather empowered. She chose to use her feelings in a positive way. She wrote this anthem for young girls listening everywhere.

“She talks about loving herself and how she’s the best for herself right now instead of filling the void with another guy,” junior Alli Kelm added.

In Grande’s song, she explains that in her relationships, she has learned love, patience, and pain, but how she still turned out amazing. This emotion can only be explained by one thing, a newfound commitment to self-love.

“Self-love is being happy and taking care of yourself,” freshman Ava Baggenstoss said.

Ariana Grande is using the lessons she has learned in life to teach others. She wants others to know that no matter what people go through, they can use the experience as something good to change themselves for the better.

“No matter how bad your life can be it is possible to be happy and move on to be successful,” Browning said.

This new song is important to young girls everywhere. When you have powerful, female role models such as Ariana Grande, growing up can seem a lot easier. The messages she is putting into the world matter, they can make a difference.

“It shows young girls like me it is important to not be afraid, to be ok with focusing on yourself,” Baggenstoss explained.

There has been slight controversy over her decision to use her ex-boyfriends’ names in her song. She has stated, however, that she got permission and they were all able to listen to the song before it was released.

“I think this is one of her biggest songs because nobody really talks about their exes like that in a song,” Kelm added.

Celebrities are known for using relationships and past experiences to inspire them in their work. Her ex-fiance, Pete Davidson, has been using comedy on his show, Saturday Night Live, to get through the breakup. Grande has every right to do the same.

In the song, she says she is grateful for the experiences with those people. “It is just a way to cope with hardship and bad things,” Browning explained.

Whether or not you are a fan of Ariana Grande, no one can deny the positive impact her new song is sending into the world. Whatever people go through in life, it is necessary to remember to have self-love.

This story was originally published on The Pony Express on December 17, 2018.

• ‘Thank U, Next’ by Ariana Grande promotes self love

Arts & Entertainment

Curtains open: de León puts passion on full display

Arts & Entertainment

Triton’s Voice on Triton’s voices

Arts & Entertainment

20 Years of Professional Children’s Theater

Arts & Entertainment

Opinion: Jenna Julien podcast brings fresh entertainment

Arts & Entertainment

Costumes and Crew: Behind The Scenes

Arts & Entertainment

Musical cast members start preparation for long time commitment

Arts & Entertainment

Shining a Spotlight on Studio Music’s Student-Led Bands

Arts & Entertainment

‘Vice’: a different kind of movie

Arts & Entertainment

Senior takes first lead role

Arts & Entertainment

NAHS painting reminds Harris of the big picture