Robert Morris University
#66
2018-2019
Robert Morris University
12
Robert Morris University
#45
2018-2019
Robert Morris University

Redshirt freshman Alijah Jackson’s speed looks to be the difference for Robert Morris

Micheal Sciulli Nick Hedderick

By Samuel Anthony, Robert Morris University

“I just have to focus on my speed and I trust my eyes,” said redshirt freshman running back Alijah Jackson of the Robert Morris football team.

In the Colonials last match-up against the Bryant Bulldogs, Jackson ran for 109 yards. He became the first RMU player to do so since the 2015 season. With one milestone in hand, Jackson looks to help Robert Morris get their first conference win since the 2016 season.

“We expect to win,” said Jackson in an interview on Colonial Sports Center “And that starts in practice. You (have) to win in practice every day so you know at game time it’s easy.”

Practice is something that has certainly been paying off for Jackson this season as he has seen his workload increase weekly. During the team’s first game against Dayton, Jackson had just six carries, but in his most recent game, Jackson took the was handed the ball 27 times and additionally grabbed two receptions for 29 touches overall.

“Lately I’ve been working on my hands,” said Jackson “And also I’ve been looking at the playbook. Trying to get more familiar with the playbook and our plays.”

But with all the hard work Jackson has been putting in on the practice field, the freshman says he’s just happy to get the opportunity.

“It feels great, especially being a freshman. Getting plays early and really building (my) confidence,” said Jackson.

As an offense that has traditionally struggled, Jackson has been contributing to a Colonials offense that has outpaced opponents significantly.

Through all 11 of their games last season, Robert Morris scored a total of 112 points, one of the worst marks in the FCS. This season, through four games the Colonials have already put up 103 points nearly matching their total from last season.

Jackson was a key part in RMU’s 46-point performance against the Bryant Bulldogs, their best offensive performance since their 54-point performance against Central Connecticut back in 2013. Just more of a showing that this Colonials offense is back and ready to make a statement.

“We’re working better as a team,” said Jackson. “We’ve got all the pieces to the puzzle: quarterbacks, receivers, running backs, offensive lineman and we just got to put it together.”

This RMU offense, as a whole, has seen remarkable improvements, with the running game being the most noticeable. With the combination of Jackson and Bowling Green transfer Terence Stephens, the Colonials have gone from one of the worst rushing offenses in the nation in 2017 to 74th in the country, an improvement of nearly 50 spots in the NCAA rankings.

Robert Morris perhaps has the biggest game of their young season this upcoming Saturday in their homecoming match-up with Central Connecticut State, the defending NEC champions. A win against the Blue Devils would spark some confidence. Robert Morris still has time to make a run in the conference and to earn new head coach Bernard Clark his first conference victory.

When asked about the big atmosphere, the big time feeling of this game and whether or not his team and himself personally were ready for this monumental point in the season, Jackson replied with one word: “Absolutely.”

This story was originally published on The Sentry on October 6, 2018.

• Redshirt freshman Alijah Jackson’s speed looks to be the difference for Robert Morris

College Reporting

Disabled UA Student Left in Dorm Room During Fire Alarm

College Reporting

History of Drag: LGBTQ rights, art and civil rights

College Reporting

Wayne couple opens business in Omaha along with another in Wayne

College Reporting

BSU and Africana Studies Reclaiming Black Excellence

College Reporting

SCCC support services promote dating violence awareness

College Reporting

Students: ‘Did I make the right choice to come to Robert Morris University?’

College Reporting

LLC’s create Post-It’s of positivity to encourage and inspire residents

College Reporting

LAUSD union strike continues in pursuit of improving schools despite rainy weather

College Reporting

Riding for the culture

College Reporting

Eagles soar to Washington’s Capitol to lobby for university issues