Liberty High School
#26
2018-2019
Liberty High School
16
Liberty High School
#40
2018-2019
Liberty High School

In The Spotlight

Liberty teachers Ms. Hall and Ms. Oliva both receive media attention

Ms.+Hall+talks+to+broadcaster+Amy+Marxkors+from+her+home.+Due+to+inclement+weather%2C+the+interview+had+to+be+conducted+on+the+phone.+

In The Spotlight

Ms. Hall talks to broadcaster Amy Marxkors from her home. Due to inclement weather, the interview had to be conducted on the phone.

photo provided by LHS Publications

photo provided by LHS Publications

photo provided by LHS Publications

By Caleb Woods, Liberty High School

It is very rare for teachers to get recognized either on local or national stories but at Liberty, it is a different story.

Recently, English teacher and Olympics trials marathon runner, Ms. Hall, was interviewed on KMOX with radio personality Amy Marxkors on the morning of Jan. 13 on At Your Service show to talk about positivity.

“Amy is my dear friend and running partner,” Hall said. “We love talking about literature and journalism.”

Marxkors works for KMOX and does intermission reports for the St. Louis Blues with Alex Ferrario.

While on a recent run, Marxkors was struggling and Hall was coaching her through her struggle.

“It’s a beneficial relationship for both of us,” Marxkors said in the interview with Hall.

But Marxkors isn’t the only being coached by Hall. Mr. Walterbach, the girls varsity basketball coach, recruited Hall to speak to his team.

“She gave a presentation to our basketball team about changing your mindset,” Walterbach said in J-Dubs in the Morning show \%2352. “It is awesome that we have her on staff and she’s one of the top 15 runners in the country.”

But Ms. Hall isn’t the only teacher in the spotlight, Librarian Ms. Oliva had our library featured on the Knowledge Quest website.

Caleb Woods
Librarian Ms. Oliva featured Liberty’s library in Knowledge Quest, a national journal published by the American Association of School Libraries.

“The article was written by a friend and fellow librarian, Margaret Sullivan,” Oliva said.

Knowledge Quest is a national journal published by the American Association of School Libraries.

“The article explained how our library integrates the concept of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics) by sponsoring STEAM-based challenges each month. The article encouraged other librarians to adopt this idea in their own libraries because it allows students to be creators and problem-solvers,” Oliva said.

Some of the well-known STEAM challenges include creating a video for the Wentzville School District film festival.

“The fact that we can offer so many opportunities to our students is a testament to our incredible administration and staff who support and promote all we do,” Oliva said.

While they are in the classroom teaching kids, they are giving back their expertise in the professional world on their passion.

This story was originally published on Liberty Ledger on January 25, 2019.

• In The Spotlight

Notre Dame burns, affects SJS French community

• In The Spotlight

Students, parents and faculty express concern over sample elementary schedule

• In The Spotlight

South High brushes up on an old mural

• In The Spotlight

Broken glass fuels focused fundraiser

• In The Spotlight

2019 Love Awards promotes female empowerment and unity

• In The Spotlight

Career fair news anchor’s Instagram video about hating high school causes unrest within SDA student body

• In The Spotlight

Behind ‘Brave’: Music video promotes new Academic Center

• In The Spotlight

Petaluma Youth Join International Climate Strike

• In The Spotlight

Grady’s print shop cut after 25 years

• In The Spotlight

Beyond ArtFest: How the art department supports students year-round