Lake Zurich High School
#114
2018-2019
Lake Zurich High School
18
Lake Zurich High School
#26
2018-2019
Lake Zurich High School

Importance of World Cultures, American Studies being forgotten

Current American Studies students takes notes during a lecture. The class offers a unique approach to learning, which some believe is being thrown away in the school's push for more APs.

Ellie Melvin

Ellie Melvin

Ellie Melvin

By Emma Brumage-Kilcourse, Lake Zurich High School

We are used to hearing about local (and even national) controversies surrounding certain high school classes; AP US History curriculum, for instance, is frequently challenged by legislators for how it delves into the more complex and controversial aspects of history. However, the recent elimination of the American Studies and World Cultures classes has the potential to negatively impact student historical learning and civic education in a major way.

World Cultures is a compelling class because of how it brings deep historical and cultural learning to a class level used to more superficial accounts of dates and timelines. It proves that the school’s AP and Honors classes were not the only way for students to delve into the history of their nations, and adapted the techniques of those higher-level classes into an innovative program that combined art and literature with traditional social studies curriculum. And while media literacy programs are blossoming, more traditional social studies classes have a key role to play as well.

In both World Cultures and American Studies, students are able to place literary, artistic, and cultural events in the context of their location and era. That skill, in particular, is one of the most important because in a time where information is everywhere, students need to be able to see beyond the literal text and images when reading or watching media in our hyper-connected and information-saturated world.

When we eliminate classes, we eliminate opportunities for students to fall in love with a subject, and we deprive them of the skills necessary to digest the modern worlds vast quantities of information. The cancellations of these two classes plays into a worrying national trend– according to the Atlantic, both civic education and young people’s political educations have been on a sharp decline. Knowing how to place cultural artifacts into context is more important than ever, and by eliminating World Cultures and American Studies, LZHS is eliminating one opportunity for lower class levels of the opportunity to learn those skills as deeply as before.  

This story was originally published on Bear Facts on January 23, 2019.

• Importance of World Cultures, American Studies being forgotten

Opinions

Opinion: Colleges shouldn’t define success through a number

Opinions

Opinion: Pornography is the Pedestal on which Rape Culture Stands

Opinions

Why I’m Taking a Month off Social Media

Opinions

Not adding up to success: We need to set new grade expectations

Opinions

One year later the Get Schooled Tour still fails to grasp students mental health concerns

Opinions

2020 Hopefuls and women of color: Earning the vote

Opinions

Column: Being a gay minority

Opinions

Han Gil Hotel brings drug discussion startlingly close to home

Opinions

Burnout: The Gifted Student Epidemic

Opinions

Conformity in Japanese Society