Godinez Fundamental High School
#51
2018-2019
Godinez Fundamental High School
12
Godinez Fundamental High School
#27
2018-2019
Godinez Fundamental High School

No Child is Left Behind When it Comes to Housing Insecurity

A photo of a typical  bedroom in Santa Ana where three people sleep. Photo taken on Jan. 13, 2019.

A photo of a typical bedroom in Santa Ana where three people sleep. Photo taken on Jan. 13, 2019.

Steve Pineda

Steve Pineda

Steve Pineda

By Laura Horta and Alondra Salgado

From the editors and adviser: The Advanced Journalism staff while researching this story, decided to use our own newsroom to tell the story of a problem that is way too common on our campus and in our city. Their hope is that by speaking out in this article, students will come forward to staff on campus when they need help. You are not alone. We thank our journalists for telling their unique perspectives.

Home

/hōm/

Noun. The place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.

Many Godinez Fundamental High School students are insecure when it comes to their home.  According to RENTCafe.com, the average monthly rent in Orange County has ballooned to $1, 979. This causes some Godinez families to cut essentials out such as food or utilities in order to make that monthly rent payment.

Senior Stacy Valentin is one of 10 family members who lives in a house that was originally three bedrooms but is now five. Two more rooms were added in order to accommodate everyone living in the house including having to rent out the master bedroom.

Valentin lives in a pretty nice neighborhood but due to apartment overcrowding, there are never enough parking spots.

“It’s always a full house, and it’s hard to find parking,” said Valentin, and “sometimes you hear police but there are police everywhere.” More people means close quarters and that can lead to tense situations that Valentin and her family hear.

The habits in Valentin’s life do not really change because of her housing. “The whole family is understanding,” she continued. “But there is a schedule that everyone must follow to make the household work.”

California is known as the sixth most expensive state to live in the United States. The average cost to buy a house in Orange County is $725,300. Making the goal to buy a home unattainable to low-income families.

And with increased housing prices, renting becomes the only option. But for many low-income families, people are renting whatever is affordable including a whole family renting a room in a house or apartment or even the garage.

With so many people, the struggle of having a quiet place to study and privacy can be nonexistent. Whether there are small children running around or family members trying to watch TV, this makes it difficult for students to study for classes.

Junior, Jennifer Pompa, has always faced housing problems. Pompa used to live with 15 people in a three bedroom, two bathroom house.  It consisted of her family and two other families. She struggled to finish her homework and find peace and quiet.

But things have improved, she presently lives in a three bedroom home with just seven people. She said that it’s a major difference with a more peaceful environment. The best time for Pompa to study is at 9 p.m., since she helps her sister with her homework and the house is usually incredibly loud until the younger children and adults go to sleep.

GFHS administration is aware of troubles students face at home and try to assist them as much as possible. Students can talk to staff about their housing problems or needs such as food, clothing or school supplies. Staff members have helped many students by giving them phones with internet access or free bus passes.

Annette Jackson, curriculum coordinator, knows the tough housing status of many students on campus.

“We have a student living in an apartment with two different families or we  have students who are homeless living in a car or in a shelter,” said Jackson.

She can help aid students with necessities. Jackson reaches out to students, and asks teachers and administrators to send her students who have difficulties with the basic necessities for school.

Godinez administration is aware of the rate of students who don’t have a stable home or live in crowded conditions. They are open to help students figure out what is needed at home.

Some students do open up to their teachers when they need help. Students are guided to staff members such as: Assistant Principal Dr. Michael Lee,  Higher Education Coordinator Jimmy Bravo, and Jackson to get help.

Teacher, Mirna Perez is familiar with student’s trouble of finishing their task when living in a crowded home all too well. She has told her students about her home life when she was a teenager.

Perez said, “I always tell them. I used to live that lifestyle. My parents were in one bedroom with five of us. I tell them the only way out of this is through education. Now I am very blessed to have a home.”

Knowing the stories of many students triggers our school’s annual canned food drive or Make a Wish gift donations program during the holiday season. This is just one way that can help students get some assistance November and December. But students need to know that there is help year round.

Veronica Chavez, school counselor, spoke about the privacy of students saying, “I think there’s always someone you feel comfortable talking to. It doesn’t have to be an assistant principal. It can be a nurse, a teacher, a coach, or any other adult on campus.”

Helping one another is a huge part of Godinez’s mission to make every student successful. With many programs in place to help including leaving the library open till 6 p.m. most afternoons, students can find a quiet study environment.

Being ashamed of what you’re going through should not dictate how you live. There are many people on campus who can help. You are not alone.

Here are just a few of the stories from our own staff about the struggle to stay living and surviving in Orange County.

This story is continued and originally published on Grizzly Gazette on January 18, 2019.

• No Child is Left Behind When it Comes to Housing Insecurity

Compensation for Education

The price of prestige

Navigating through high school with PTSD

Lack of transportation prevents extracurricular participation

Feeding the Future: Behind the scenes in the cafeteria

Fighting for French

A Passion for pageantry: sophomore defies stereotypes

Compass Rose

Teacher collects twist-offs for change

Welcome to the Dark Side