Antioch Community High School
#96
2018-2019
Antioch Community High School
7
Antioch Community High School
#61
2018-2019
Antioch Community High School

Cheerleaders Join 2019 National Team to Compete Against the World

Three varsity Sequoits will be members of the junior division coed cheerleading team.

Sophomores Bridget Nauman and Kaitlyn Bargamian and junior Avery Frasch will all be members of the national coed cheer team that will compete this April at Worlds.

Avery Frasch

Avery Frasch

Avery Frasch

By Emily Torres, Antioch Community High School

The most magical place on Earth will soon welcome hundreds of cheerleaders looking to jump, tuck and tumble their way to be known as world champions. Two Antioch Community High School sophomores and a junior will be among those to take the mat in Walt Disney World this April, now officially as members of the Junior Coed National Cheerleading team. They will represent the United States of America against other cheer teams from around the world.

Sophomores Kaitlyn Bargamian and Bridget Nauman and junior Avery Frasch, all members of the third-place-in-state varsity cheerleading squad, learned they made the national team February 5. This came after going through four hours of tryouts on Monday, Feb. 4, and waiting for an announcement and placement most of the following day.

Bargamian sees this opportunity for more than just being a representative of the USA.

“I feel very honored that I made the USA National Junior Coed Team because I get to honor my country at the [International Cheer Union] Worlds,” Bargamian said. “I am very excited to start this new chapter, get out of my comfort zone and meet new people. I am looking forward to the next couple of months and hope to make great memories.”

As Bargamian alluded, it will take time to get to ICU Worlds in April. This means three practices a week, which include a school night and full weekends, to prepare for what may be the biggest competition thus far in all three’s lives. After all, they only have a little less than three months before the competition arrives.

Nauman is no stranger to worlds; she attended last year as a member of a competitive all-star coed cheer team, SnowEd with ICE. This will be her first time, however, as a member of the national team: a dream, a wish her heart made.

“I grew up watching all of my junior coaches go on to have amazing cheer careers and I never thought I would be able to be like them,” Nauman said. “I have worked 11 years for an opportunity like this and I could not be more excited to go through this experience on the USA National Junior Team. I feel very honored to be able to represent my country.”

Illinois was selected this year to represent the country, and Frasch is ready to not only represent her state, but also her country. For her, this opportunity felt like it resulted from a wish upon a star.

“Going into the tryout process I knew it was going be an uphill battle considering the amount of talent I had to compete against,” Frasch said. “I’m so thankful to have been given the opportunity to represent my country and it’s an honor to compete next to such incredible athletes. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for me and the rest of the team.”

The team will compete against other countries that will also be in the junior coed division. Bargamian, Frasch and Nauman will be joined by 25 other cheerleaders from the state. Jared Erlenbaugh, a well-known club coach and choreographer, will be the head coach of the Junior Coed National Team. ICU Worlds will be held April 24-26, 2019, at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at the Walt Disney World Resorts.

This story was originally published on Sequoit Media on February 5, 2019.

• Cheerleaders Join 2019 National Team to Compete Against the World

Sports

Senior guard assists varsity to victories

Sports

Much ‘Moore’ to Come

Sports

It all started here

Sports

Swim & Dive Set Records at Region, 11 Advance to State

Sports

Meyer swims though her last season

Sports

New Coach Dives into a Challenging Season for Girls’ Water Polo

Sports

A Swimmer’s Soul

Sports

Like mother, like daughter on the field

Sports

Attention stance: Hayakawa punches through challenges, perseveres

Sports

Running West