Prosper High School
#30
2018-2019
Prosper High School
16
Prosper High School
#26
2018-2019
Prosper High School

Junior offensive tackle commits to play college football

Offensive tackle Jake Majors puts on a University of Texas jersey. He committed to play football on Jan. 24. “UT was calling my name,” Majors said. “In my heart, I knew I wanted to stay in Texas and be a Longhorn.”

University of Texas staff

University of Texas staff

University of Texas staff

By Ana Arredondo, Prosper High School

After receiving his first offer from Colorado Boulder during his sophomore year, offensive tackle Jake Majors said he knew he wanted to continue playing football far after his high school career.

Majors, a four-star offensive lineman, announced his commitment to the University of Texas on Jan. 24.

“The decision was pretty hard for me,” Majors said. “I had other schools like Stanford, Washington and Missouri lined up. I knew I wanted to stay in Texas and that’s why I chose UT.”

Majors is ranked No. 22 as offensive lineman in the nation, and 247Sports chose him as the No. 21 prospect in Texas. He decided to continue playing football at UT over other programs.

“I started to look at everything that goes into playing college football,” Majors said. “The fanbase of the university, and the connection with the alumni. Those things were pretty good at UT. But mostly, staying in Texas was what stood out to me. I was born and raised in Texas so I wanted to keep it that way.”

Majors said his parents influenced his decision and helped him through the whole recruiting process.

“It was a very exciting and humbling experience,” Jake’s mom, Traci Majors, said. “We were honestly just thankful for all the colleges that gave him the opportunity and looked at him. It did get overwhelming at times. I think as far as that goes, when he really felt like these were the people that were so interested and checking in on him all the time was when he knew where to go. He really felt at home with the coaches at UT.”

Mrs. Majors said she believed the coaching staff played a part in the decision, as they felt like family. Majors is the third commit in the 2020 recruiting class for Texas. He will be playing under offensive line coach Herb Hand and head coach Tom Herman.

“It’ll be great to play under Coach Hand,” Majors said. “He’s a one-of-a-kind offensive line coach. He’s a very productive coach. I can’t wait to be playing under him and his coaching.”

Majors was the only junior captain this past season.

“It’s been amazing to coach him,” offensive line coach Brian Thompson said. “He is obviously very talented, but he is also one of the hardest workers I have ever been around.  He wants every rep to be perfect, and he focuses on doing the little details right every time. He knows what his strengths and weaknesses are and how to adjust during a game.  His football IQ is very high, and he wants to understand every aspect of playing offensive line.”

Majors said he is currently working in the weight room and getting ready for his last season as an Eagle.

“I’m ready to lead my team next year,” Majors said. “Hopefully we’ll make it to a district championship and a state run.  I’m just preparing with my teammates, and also just bonding with the rest of the seniors, so I can build my brotherhood.”

After this final season, his Eagle supporters and fans will have to adjust to seeing Majors at Darrell K. Royal Stadium wearing burnt orange and white.

“UT was calling my name,” Majors said. “In my heart, I knew I wanted to stay in Texas and be a Longhorn.”

To state up-to-date on Prosper High news and views, follow Eagle Nation Online, @ENO_PHS, on both Twitter and Instagram.

This story was originally published on Eagle Nation Online on February 14, 2019.

• Junior offensive tackle commits to play college football

Sports

Champions League round of 16 brings soccer to school

Sports

Attending athletics

Sports

Girls varsity basketball incorporates practice players

Sports

Caldwell leaves lasting Mac legacy

Sports

No. 5 Varsity Girls Basketball Team Takes Home the State Championship Title

Sports

Hatters welcome home NFL’s Austin Calitro

Sports

Wayland Wrestling pins down a state championship

Sports

Child’s play

Sports

Playing for Mack, Hometown Crowd Led to Johnson’s UL Signing

Sports

Triple Threat: Tyrone Grads Lead Penn State Altoona Lady Lions