Pleasant Valley High School
#21
2018-2019
Pleasant Valley High School
16
Pleasant Valley High School
#35
2018-2019
Pleasant Valley High School

PV violinist stuns audience with Vieuxtemps’ “Concerto No. 5 in A Minor”

+Violinist+Annie+Warner+performs+%E2%80%9CConcerto+No.+5+in+A+Major%E2%80%9D+by+Henri+Vieuxtemps+with+the+Quad+City+Youth+Symphony+on+Feb.+9.+

Violinist Annie Warner performs “Concerto No. 5 in A Major” by Henri Vieuxtemps with the Quad City Youth Symphony on Feb. 9.

Photo taken by Lian Warner

Photo taken by Lian Warner

Photo taken by Lian Warner

By Jeanelle Cho, Pleasant Valley High School

In the dim lit theater, a young violinist in a teal gown emerged from the wings.

As the violinist and the orchestra behind her started playing, the sounds of Henri Vieuxtemps’ “Concerto No. 5 in A Minor” filled Centennial Hall auditorium at Augustana College.

The violinist was PV orchestra’s concert master, Annie Warner, and the event was the Quad City Symphony’s annual concerto competition, an opportunity that has allowed Warner to showcase her talent.

The concerto competition is an event hosted by the Quad City Symphony which allows young musicians who participate in Quad City Youth Symphony (YSO) to perform a concerto. The winner of this competition has the chance to perform with the Quad City Symphony, while the runner-up performs with YSO.

This year, the runner-up was Warner. Warner is a senior who has been playing violin since the age of nine. In addition to being an active member of the PV orchestra since fourth grade, she has also been playing in YSO for five years.

Warner’s musical endeavors do not stop there. She has also been a part of the PV choir program since eighth grade and has been playing the piano for 12 years.

While the sign-up for the competition was simply through an online application, the preparation and practice done beforehand was no easy task.

Warner had been preparing her concerto since March of 2018 up until her audition in December of that same year. “I performed it for many people and listened to my concerto many times to understand the nuances of the piece while I was preparing for my audition,” she said.

Fellow PV orchestra member Emily Preston had the opportunity to witness Warner’s concerto. “The preparation put into the performance was apparent, as Warner effortlessly played through the challenging music,” she said. “Her performance was telling of how talented she is and the years of work that got her to where she is today.”

Warner’s experience and the process beforehand allowed her to grow as a musician. “I learned to play with an accompanist. Listening to the orchestra members and connecting with them was important,” Warner said.

Her piece, “Concerto No. 5 in A Minor,” was a piece with both fast and slow tempo markings. She spoke of what she learned: “Paying attention to the little details such as phrasing, blending, and dynamics was important in order to create artistry.”

Warner’s enthusiasm and passion for music is a trait that Preston admires. “Warner’s dedication is a great inspiration. Not only does she excel in playing the violin, but [she also excels] in choir, education, and many other activities,” Preston stated. “She is someone to admire because of her hard work and humbleness.”

Warner has learned much about playing with an orchestra and the technical aspects of music, but she has also learned a lot about self-discipline. “You can’t passively practice. You have to learn to teach yourself, analyze yourself and listen; learn how you yourself can improve.”

This story was originally published on Spartan Shield on March 5, 2019.

• PV violinist stuns audience with Vieuxtemps’ “Concerto No. 5 in A Minor”

Arts & Entertainment

“Nine Perfect Strangers” satisfies, but doesn’t stun

Arts & Entertainment

Head in the SoundCloud

Arts & Entertainment

Campoverde wins prestigious Scholastic Gold Medal for artwork

Arts & Entertainment

Orchestra student learns composition, pursues career

Arts & Entertainment

Should Netflix films win Oscars?

Arts & Entertainment

Holmes places first chair in state, keeps up with dynamics of music

Arts & Entertainment

The Magenta Shift evolves as rising student band

Arts & Entertainment

Dance on

Arts & Entertainment

Khalid Unites His Music With Cinema in “Free Spirit”

Arts & Entertainment

ALBUM REVIEW: “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” by Billie Eilish