Akins High School
#44
2018-2019
Akins High School
11
Akins High School
#59
2018-2019
Akins High School

Pop-punk bands grow, work to maintain popularity as fans age

As fans grow up, pop-punk bands' music grew with us. These bands have switched their genre of music to stay relevant and to keep up with the audience that has followed them since the beginning. Bands like Linkin Park, Maroon 5, Weezer, Green Day, and Blink 182 are some examples of changing to match their audience.

Ash Catalan

Ash Catalan

Ash Catalan

By Zeta Handy, Akins High School

While music classified as “pop-punk” is very popular, its specific classifications are often unclear. It’s often conflated and used as a synonym for alternative music and some indie rock. Indie rock is another genre that has picked up speed, without much real meaning attached to its definition.

Indie rock was a term used in the 70s to refer to music that was released by independent record labels. It is now used to refer to music with a low fidelity or unpolished sound. Alternative and pop punk have a had a similar muddling, associated more with a feeling or image than a specific sound. Senior Brian Guzman said that he learned about these types of music from his brother.

Growing up Senior Brian Guzman heard of the alternative rock from his older brother.

“My brother was pretty gothic in middle school and I picked it up from him as I grew up I started listening to it and still to this day I listen to it,” Guzman said.

Punk rock and indie music popularity seems to rise and fall as each generation discovers it. Many music aficionados trace modern punk music to the 1970s with bands like the Sex Pistols and The Clash in England. And in the United States, bands like the Ramones and Bad Religion are recognized as punk pioneers.

These days, bands like Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy and Paramore are all bands that exemplify the pop-punk genre. Many pop punk fans at Akins discovered these bands when they were in middle school.”

— Zeta Handy

The low fidelity sound of punk and indie music has often kept it from gaining popularity, radio play and widespread commercial success. And for many fans that is just fine because punk music often takes on an anti-establishment political tone.

However, in the 1990s punk bands like Green Day began catching the attention of major labels, signing them to multimillion-dollar contracts. The fast, catchy tunes of Green Day set the model for how punk bands could glean commercial success in the world of popular music and thus “pop punk” was born. Soon major labels starting producing loads of pop-punk bands and a genre was born.

These days, bands like Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy and Paramore are all bands that exemplify the pop-punk genre. Many pop punk fans at Akins discovered these bands when they were in middle school.

Songs like “I write sins not tragedies” by Panic! At The Disco, “Thnks fr th Mmrs” by Fall Out Boy and “Misery of Business” by Paramore have a special place in the hearts of many pop-punk fans.

Senior Taylor Patterson started listening to pop-punk around middle school.

“I had a group of friends I hung out with the middle school that introduced me to all the punk rock and stuff like that,” he said. “And my mother used to listen to rock music all the time.”

As we grew up, their music grew with us. These bands have switched their genre of music to stay relevant and to keep up with the audience that has followed them since the beginning. Bands like Linkin Park, Maroon 5, Weezer, Green Day, and Blink 182 are some examples of changing to match their audience.

Music today has changed dramatically whether we like it or not. Better or for worse people have noticed the change. Whether or not these bands will remain relevant is yet to be seen. It can take decades to know whether a band’s sound can last the test of time.

This story was originally published on The Eagle’s Eye on March 14, 2019.

• Pop-punk bands grow, work to maintain popularity as fans age

Arts & Entertainment

“Nine Perfect Strangers” satisfies, but doesn’t stun

Arts & Entertainment

Head in the SoundCloud

Arts & Entertainment

Campoverde wins prestigious Scholastic Gold Medal for artwork

Arts & Entertainment

Orchestra student learns composition, pursues career

Arts & Entertainment

Should Netflix films win Oscars?

Arts & Entertainment

Holmes places first chair in state, keeps up with dynamics of music

Arts & Entertainment

The Magenta Shift evolves as rising student band

Arts & Entertainment

Dance on

Arts & Entertainment

Khalid Unites His Music With Cinema in “Free Spirit”

Arts & Entertainment

ALBUM REVIEW: “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” by Billie Eilish