South High brushes up on an old mural

South High brushes up on an old mural

South High students Nasra Hassan and Frances Levy are just a few of the visual art students working together to paint the new mural for South. The mural that they are working on will be replacing the mural that is alongside the practice field by the end of June.

Mia Swanson

Mia Swanson

Mia Swanson

By Mia Swanson, South High School

The mural along the practice field at South High will be replaced by the end of this school year. Over the past 18 years the mural has been there, the paint has begun to chip away from the wall and the mural has been tagged multiple times as well. It wasn’t until a few months ago that South High Principal, Ray Aponte decided that it was time for an update.

South High alum and Artistic Director of GoodSpace Murals, Greta McLain, expressed her excitement for this new mural. “We’ve been trying to get on the outside of the building for years,” said McLain. “It’s going to be a big landmark for the South community now… because the building is kind of an eyesore, but we all love South so hard. This is our way to feel proud of it.”

This new mural project is a collaborative piece with a few of the afternoon visual art class students and teachers as well as GoodSpace Murals.

Students from Cynthia Berger’s painting class are working with Megan Knutson’s sculpture and painting classes to paint the majority of the mural. Meanwhile, Corbin Doty’s design theory class was responsible for helping create the design of the mural. McLain, who has worked on multiple other murals at South High, is responsible for helping guide all students through this creative process.

The project began by teaching students about the power of public art. They explored what this expression of art entails and looked at examples of other murals to gain inspiration. Shortly after, the students were instructed to brainstorm some ideas of what they wanted to see in this mural.

The visual art teachers created a few questions and prompts to give to the students so that they could discover what types of themes students wanted to see portrayed in the mural. Students were asked: “Where do you see injustice?”, “What gives you hope?”, and “I know that I am free when…”.

Sophomore students Ana Tucker and Brianna Fernandez in Knutson’s 7th hour painting class worked together to create some visuals based off of these questions. Tucker was pleasantly surprised about the freedom that was given to the students working on this project. Explaining the she didn’t know “Issues that I really care about can be put on a mural,” said Tucker.

The visuals Tucker and Fernandez created were intended to bring awareness to the missing and murdered Native women. Fernandez explains that she hopes, “to show that the problem [of murdered and missing Native women] is there and needs to be spoken out [about], right now, [in] some sort of way.”

After the brainstorming process the visual art teachers and McLain pieced together as much of the artwork they could to create the final draft of the mural.

When the final draft was shown to the students, some of the students were disappointed because the mural wasn’t what they had expected it to be. “I feel like not everyone’s design was in there,” said Ruwayda Abdisamed. “It’s just plain… I really thought our designs were going to be in it.”

Meanwhile other students were very glad with the results of the final draft. Sophomore Isabel Burciaga said her favorite part of the mural was the “activism part”. “I completely love that because – especially with the pride flag – I am bisexual so it makes me feel a little bit more welcome here,” said Burciaga.

Knutson explained the confirmation process of the final draft went through various stages of refinery before the mural could go up on the wall. First the draft was confirmed by the students and then the visual art teachers. After they had decided it was what they wanted the draft was sent to Aponte. Finally it was sent to be confirmed by a group of people at the Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS) District.

The refinery of the final draft was due to two reasons; timeliness and location. “A lot of the students have done work that represents current movements, and I think the conflict of interest with that is we’re hoping to have this [mural] last for the next twenty five years. So some of those movements or issues may not be relevant later on,” Knutson said.

Knutson further explained that, “[People from the MPS district] wanted to encompass some more overall representation of South on the outside since we do have some more controversial work that’s going to be happening inside the building. So as far as the outside goes, they wanted to keep it more positive and inclusive and sort of general.”

Despite some of the frustrations from the students, “I do really feel that the experience of creating this themselves is going to be more rewarding in the long run,” said Knutson.

For the past few weeks students have begun painting the mural inside the commons of South High. This outside mural is able to be painted inside by using the “the parachute cloth technique”.  Parachute cloth is essentially large sheets of canvas that act much like a sticker. Students are able to paint onto the canvas, and when the time comes, that canvas can be placed directly on the wall.

The teachers are also using a grid technique to divide up this approximately 2,250 square foot wall. A grid technique is typically used to enlarge an image, in this case the wall. First a grid was drawn over the draft of the mural. Then the grid was scaled to the equal ratio of the wall. The size of these grid pieces were then cut out of the parachute cloth and given to students to paint that specific part of the mural.

“[Working on the mural] feels great because we can just get it all done and just see how it all comes together…. [I’m most excited about] putting it up on the wall [and knowing that] I left part of me at South,” said Burciaga.

If you are a student or staff member at South High and want to participate in the making of this mural, you can stop by room 204 after school to help out.

This story was originally published on South High School on May 3, 2019.