Teacher helps students make it to prom

In+this+illustration%2C+we+used+a+picture+from+last+years+prom+to+show+the+prices+of+items+for+prom.+

Photo illustration by: Hailey Livingston

In this illustration, we used a picture from last years prom to show the prices of items for prom.

By Hailey Livingston, Broken Arrow High School

Attending prom can cost students a lot of money. Most girls spend money on a dress, accessories, nails, makeup, and hair; while most guys spend money on buying the tickets, renting a tux, buying the corsage, and maybe even treating the girl to dinner. On average for a couple to go to prom, the price could range from $625 to $1,325. Most expenses are optional, but even dinner and tickets can be expensive for most students. One teacher has found a way to support students who are wanting to go to prom but need a little help with the financial aspect.

“What Mrs. Fowler is doing for students is really cool because I know a couple of people who could really benefit from her generous idea to give students these resources,” sophomore Hannah Basinger said.

Physical education teacher Mary Fowler has put together a closet for students to get resources for their every day needs and also some prom items. Fowler has a closet located in the Tiger Fieldhouse where she stores dresses, coats, and toiletry items. She started this closet when local formal wear stores asked if any students from the high school would benefit from free prom dresses.

“I get donations of dresses, coats, and toiletries from faculty, administration, PTSA, and many other business owners,” Fowler said. “If a student needs something, he/she should be able to tell a teacher or faculty member and we will get them whatever they may need.”

As well as Mrs. Fowler, many of her students help her out with the closet too. Whether they are in her Tiger Challenge Leadership or just know of the closet, the students help with keeping the closet clean and organized.

“I started helping Mrs. Fowler this year with the closet because I found out what she was doing and I wanted to help others in need,” junior Rylee Humphrey said. “I usually help out by organizing the clothes and supplies so that everything is neat for students to come in to get exactly what they need.”

This story was originally published on The Pulse on April 4, 2019.