What Really Goes On Behind the Scenes of Spirit Week?

Beyond the Hallway Decorations: taking a look at what makes Spirit Week full of Spirit

The seniors prepare for season 20, episode 20, the one where they graduate.

Uma Bhat

Uma Bhat

Uma Bhat

By Uma Bhat, Green Hope High School

Pac Man munching on post-it notes. A giant Volkswagen. MTV red-carpet walls, and a rocket shooting towards the moon. Remnants of failed streamer decorations hanging out of trash cans, crumpled paper basketballs to the side. These are some of the first things you’ll notice when you walk into each grade’s locker bay, which, on Sunday morning, made the transition from bland brick halls to decade-based havens for spirit week. 

Green Hope Student Council members woke up early to plaster up handmade decorations and compete for the “honor” of repping their assigned decade the best; freshmen acted as the 60s, sophomores as the 70s, and so on, telling their classes’ “story” through the perspective of the eras. 

The Fab Freshmen

“I think that by decorating our halls for a 60s theme, it brings our class together so we can all celebrate the 60s-vibes through different themes like pop-culture, music, and the hippie culture,” Katelyn Lee, one of the Freshman Class Council members, stated as she helped to lay a sheet of thin red craft paper over the last uncovered locker-bay countertop. The rest of them were covered with pop-culture references pertaining to the ‘60s: The Beatles and different album-covers from record-giant “Mo-Town”, just to name a few. But the Class of 2023 wants to go beyond promoting the defining arts and culture of the 60s — it wants to highlight civil rights and political movements that occurred during the decade as well.

“I think it is important to note the equality movements of the time, which promoted some inclusivity, like the civil rights movement and the Stonewall Riots,” Lee elucidated. “I think repping those stories will, you know, help bring together all the voices in our grade. Also, the space-stuff is pretty cool, too!” 

“I think it is important to note the equality movements of the time, which promoted some inclusivity, like the civil rights movement and the Stonewall Riots,” Lee elucidated. “I think repping those stories will, you know, help bring together all the voices in our grade…” ”

— Katelyn Lee

Lee’s last comment refers to the African-Americans civil rights movements against segregation and racism, as well as the Stonewall Riots that led to LGBTQ+ equality reforms; she hopes that by making these movements one of the forefronts of the freshmen’s “back-to-the-60s” spirit theme, members of all different communities that make up Class of 2023 can celebrate their history. She also references the brightly colored rocket ship that adorns the South wall of the bay, one of the most prominent freshman class decorations; fiery colored streamers hang from it, symbolizing the blast that took Apollo 11 to the moon in 1969; it hangs alongside “groovy-looking” flowers, an assortment of different colored peace-signs, and string-paper ornaments. 

“We really had fun with it,” Lee concluded. “and we hope that the rest of our class likes it as much as we do.” 

https://www.history.com/topics/1960s

The Slammin’ Sophomores

In the locker bay directly below the freshmen, Class of 2022’s student representatives were encapsulated in a pensive bustle as they finished gluing on final pieces to what some called, “the main attraction”: a large, sky-blue VW bus. 

“I think [the spirit] is going to radiate — it’s just like a really fun look,” Felica, a member of the sophomore class board excitedly stated. “You know, just everybody from our class comes together to decorate this locker bay, and it just makes me so happy to just make a huge big project like this, just for us, and have so many people from our grade be involved with it. I think that’s really great.”  

The sophomore class perhaps might have not put up as many decorations as their upperclassmen counterparts or Class of 2023, but the spirit of the ‘70s was in no sense lacking. Tye-dye, rainbows, and peace-signs are plastered all over the 2200s.

“Our decorations help foster a welcoming class vibe, and we want to bring a sense of inclusivity through our decorations because we hope everyone in our class feels like they belong,” Stephen Lee, Class of 22’s President, concluded. 

https://www.history.com/topics/1970s

The Jiving Juniors

“So spirit week, the main purpose is to promote our homecoming dance and to make the school energized and excited to support the football team, and to also pump up the school at the beginning of their year,” Sid Ravi, Junior Class President, said. “We decorate the hallways to kind of make this exciting atmosphere and vibe as kids walk into school and they can see the themes and the different decorations, and it’s a really fun time for Student Council and the whole student body.” 

“We decorate the hallways to kind of make this exciting atmosphere and vibe as kids walk into school and they can see the themes and the different decorations, and it’s a really fun time for Student Council and the whole student body.” ”

— Sid Ravi

Class of 2021 didn’t come to play this year; many Junior student government members emphasized how they wanted their locker bay to “look the best”, and their enthusiasm seems to have paid off in the eyes of several classmates. 

“The whole experience was really fun, we all worked together to create this whole ‘80s inspired theme, and just taking us back a couple of decades was really nice — it just gave us a little bit of perspective,” said Anna Grace, an executive member of the Junior Class Board. 

“Yeah, I think it was pretty well decorated,” Ameena Farooqi, a member of Class of 2021, added. “I really liked the Rubik’s cube and record-player decorations.” 

In addition to Rubik’s cubes and multiple album covers from hit ‘80s artists, like Cyndi Lauper and Wham!, the Class of 2021 hung up references to “He-Man!”, “Back to the Future”, and “PacMan”, for which they created a border surrounding the four walls of their locker-bay, consisting of post-it note blocks and giant paper ghosts. One wall was full of ‘80s slang, with poster-letters spelling out “gnarly” and “rad”. 

“I know that for the Junior class, we want to be the best, and we want to create the most fun and colorful and creative hallway that we can. There’s a little bit of friendly, nice competition that we have going on between the classes,” Ravi explained. 

https://www.history.com/topics/1980s

The Snappy Seniors 

For the seniors, this spirit week was full of nostalgia. Class of 2020 Student Council members put up HoCo-Spirit decorations in their locker bay for the very last time, attempting to capture the spirit of the 90s with references to “Friends”, “Peppa Pig”, “MTV”, etcetera. 

“I definitely think that the ‘90s [style] is back in season, the look is trending and all, so it should be really fun for everyone to dress up and enjoy some things from, you know, beyond our time,” Raina Lee, Executive Class President, stated. “Because, in general, we still enjoy a lot of things from the ‘90s. For example, I came up with this idea to put up a giant Friends-inspired sign, where we have “Season 20, Episode 20” for Class of 2020, and it’s titled ‘The One Where They Graduate’, because we’re graduating this year.”

The ‘90s, often referred to as “The Golden Ages”, is possibly the era that best encapsulates Class of 2020; they are the first class to be graduating as part of the new decade, on the verge of a new horizon full of endless possibility. 

https://www.history.com/topics/1990s 

Come to the pep-rally today in the auditorium — just find a StuCo member in your class and ask for tickets!

This story was originally published on Falcon News Feed on September 20, 2019.