Sophomore creates arts magazine, ‘404 Zine’

Wilson (left) and Poole (right) at the May launch party of their first issue of 404zine.

Courtesy of Zoey Poole

Courtesy of Zoey Poole

Courtesy of Zoey Poole

By Elena Hubert, Henry W. Grady High School

To sophomore Clayton Wilson and Atlanta Girls School senior Zoey Poole, Atlanta youth artists are underrepresented. Their solution: create a magazine full of poetry, photography and art that relies on submissions from youth of all artistic spectrums.

Wilson and Poole created the magazine, 404 Zine, in the summer of 2018. They released their first issue May, 2019, with a second issue coming in March, 2020.

“I came to Clayton with the idea of 404,” Poole said. “I had been thinking about challenging myself with a big project for over a year at the time. She’s good with design and has a good eye with putting projects together, so I thought it would be perfect.”

The magazine’s motto, “For Atlanta Youth, by Atlanta Youth,” proved true for the first issue, which was based solely around the city’s youth artists. However, Wilson and Poole plan to go beyond Atlanta in the future, extending the next issue nationally.

“The first issue, we were very happy with what we got,” Wilson said. “I think we took more time to get people for it. We were very new. We didn’t have anything to show anyone.”

Social media has proven essential to 404 Zine’s development and expansion. Artists can send their submissions to the magazine’s Instagram “@404zine.”

“We got most of our people through social media,” Wilson said. “Whether it’s people we followed before or people we discovered, then we DM [direct message] them. I don’t know how successful we would have been if we didn’t have social media.”

The city of Atlanta provides the main source of inspiration for 404 Zine.

“I feel like Atlanta sort of has this arbitrary beauty to it,” Poole said. “The buildings downtown are painted with spray paint; the streets are filled with the weirdest people. but it is what makes Atlanta, Atlanta. I feel like there is no other city like it.”

Excluding the submissions of those featured, Wilson and Poole are the sole editors. Wilson mainly handles publicity and media while Poole works on the graphics and layout.

“It’s just us, like creating it and putting it together and doing all of the public relations,” Wilson said. “I’d say I’m more like media and public relations, and she’s more the software.”

Interviews in the first issue include local bands Lowertown and Neaptide. Wilson and Poole are planning to travel to New York to interview Laundry Day, who are scheduled to play at rapper Tyler, the Creator’s Camp Flog Gnaw music festival at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles in November.

“We’ve become pretty good at getting connections, like networking, and going up to random people and going up to 2Chainz’ manager and being like, ‘Want to be in this?’” Wilson said.

The inspiration for 404 stems from the originality that youth creatives bring to the table.

“I think it just comes from us,” said Wilson. “Artists that are in the magazine. Artists that we want to be in it. I think it’s just whatever we want to put in it, we put in it.”

This story was originally published on The Southerner on September 26, 2019.