New anonymous reporting system arrives at Sevier Middle

HELP IS AVAILABLE. Macy Davis, left, checks out a poster advertising the new

Audrey Edwards

HELP IS AVAILABLE. Macy Davis, left, checks out a poster advertising the new "P3 Campus" anonymous reporting system. The new system allows students to submit concerns, including bullying, directly to KCS administrators.

By ShayLeigh Honaker, John Sevier Middle School

Kingsport City Schools has recently put a new anonymous reporting system in place. Students can now report problems at school anonymously.

Holly Flora is the principal at John Sevier Middle School.

“P3 is a program that allows for students and families to share concerns with school staff at any time of day that they may or may not feel comfortable sharing in person,” she said. “P3 allows the person communicating an opportunity to provide their name as an identification or not.”

Jim Nash, the Chief Student Services Officer, hopes students and parents use this system to express any concerns they have.

“This system allows students, parents, or any community member to make a report regarding concerns or safety issues,” he said.

The “P3 Campus” anonymous reporting system is pretty new to the Kingsport City School system. Many students know very little about it.

Kyron Falin is a 7th grade student at Sevier Middle. She can only guess what P3’s role is at Sevier Middle.

“From the name of the system, I now know that you can submit messages anonymously,” she said.

Justin Cheng, another 7th grade student, knows nothing of the system.

“I have never heard of the system,” he said. “In fact, this is the first time I have heard of it.”

Considering the system is new, teachers don’t know much about it, either. Amanda Greer, for example, is a 7th grade Language Arts teacher who knows about “P3” mostly from advertising around the school.

“I know that it’s a way for students to anonymously let adults know of any issues they need to be aware of,” she said. “I did know about the system because I have seen posters around the school advertising it.”

The messages that students send will be read and taken care of, if the problem is significant.

“The administrators and the school SROs will receive the reports,” Nash said. “The school administrators and SROs investigate and follow-up on each report.”

Flora agreed.

“When someone makes a report, Andy True, the Assistant Superintendent, and Jim Nash, the Chief of Student Services, all JSMS admin, and all JSMS counselors will receive the report,” she said.

So far, there have been around 80 reports to the “P3 Campus” system across Kingsport City Schools.

“Given the number of schools and students we serve, I do think this is an appropriate number,” Nash said.

Several of these reports came from Sevier Middle.

“We have had a few reports,” Flora said. “Most of our reports come in after school hours and involve students who are concerned about issues their friends may be having that they want us to know, without being identified. In this way, we are able to respond to student needs.”

Now that students are informed of the system, some do think that they will use it.

“I definitely will, because it will be easier to tell or explain the problem to someone,” sixth graders Britton Hall said.

Falin agreed.

“I don’t think I would ever have to use it,” Falin said. “If there was a situation where I would have to, I do think I would use it then.”

Cheng, on the other hand, believes reporting problems face to face is a better idea.

“I think this school is good the way it is, and if there is a problem, someone could report it to counselling or the staff,” he said.

The system costs $2500 dollars annually for the school system.

“I think that it is a good investment, as it allows for anonymous reporting with the ability to have two-way communication,” Nash said.

Many students feel this is a much better way to communicate problems, although Cheng feels it could be abused.

“It is a good way [to report problems], but people might abuse it or use it for non-important means,” he said.

In the end, teachers and administrators hope that students use this opportunity to let them know when they need help.

“Students should use the system anytime they have something to report or are scared to talk to an adult,” Greer said.

This story was originally published on The Sequoyah Scribe on April 9, 2020.