Cannon Falls High School

College campuses go dark

Caitlyn Verhasselt and Kayla Moynagh

Molly Bowen (lower left) and Elizabeth Reinhardt (right) have been adjusting to the U’s new virtual learning plans.

By Emma Conway, Cannon Falls High School

Just 42 minutes north of Cannon Falls, the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, boasts the sixth largest enrollment numbers in the U.S. The second largest school in the Big Ten—falling 10,000 students shy of Ohio State University—has become a beacon for many young people across the country. So when the U suspended in-person classes for the rest of the spring semester on March 11 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many were left heartbroken, including two former CFHS grads: Molly Bowen and Elizabeth Reinhardt. Both die hard Golden Gophers, one a freshman, the other a junior, have been adjusting to the new reality.

Attending the school was a no brainer for Bowen.

“I really wanted to experience a bigger university, and the school itself is fairly prestigious, so the U was the perfect fit for me,” the 19-year-old emphasized.

And even though she had only begun her freshman year in the fall, Bowen admitted leaving the colossal college campus cast a prominent shadow. The human physiology major and future pediatric doctor has already packed up her dorm and moved back home. Likewise, Reinhardt was recently sent packing.

But the 20-year-old’s story is somewhat different from Bowen’s. Although Reinhardt too was attracted to the U’s electric D1 atmosphere, the 2017 CFHS grad was supposed to be studying business and marketing with a minor in leadership abroad for her spring semester.

In Reinhardt’s eyes, “The historic culture, iconic fashion, and incredible food are a few reasons as to why I decided on Italy.”

However her bright times in Florence, where she honed in on cultural language and fashion courses, was disappointingly cut three months short as the city became a COVID-19 transmission hot spot.

Now each of the maroon and gold gals have transitioned online.

“Some days I have to log in to a virtual meeting for three hours, listening to a professor lecture, and other days I am required to watch some videos on my own,” Bowen explained.

Reinhardt’s classes are similar. For her, three hour courses have been condensed to one hour, which has been a dreary reminder of the reduced semester.

Yet, even in dark times, both have found some light. Bowen believes her pocketbook will benefit in the long run, while Reinhardt maintained, “I’m reading more, taking the time to practice yoga, learning to draw; I’m just trying to make the most of this situation, despite it’s inconvenience.”

Everyone has been impacted by the current health crisis, especially those seeking a bright future on college campuses (regardless of school size). Two Gophers, such as Bowen and Reinhardt, are banking on in-person classes next year. They can’t get their lost freshman year or semester abroad back. But hopefully, come fall, universities, like the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, will go about operations per usual, enlightening all in attendance.

This story was originally published on The Lantern on April 8, 2020.

• Carlmont reels from the effects of COVID-19

Coronavirus

Carlmont reels from the effects of COVID-19

• Elise Hadidi, a Woodside sophomore, sews a N95 mask cover at home.

Coronavirus

Wildcats Find Ways to Help During the COVID-19 Pandemic

• Despite the difficulties of teaching online, teachers now have more time to spend with their family.

Coronavirus

Teaching from home: a new reality for teachers

• Vegan or vegetarian substitutes have grown in popularity in recent years. The recent increase in price of meat has also made many turn to these substitutes.

Coronavirus

Strain on meat supply chain, rising prices effects dietary choices

• Schools across the globe resorted to online learning in wake of the coronavirus pandemic, relying heavily on learning devices such as computers and tablets to connect with students.

Coronavirus

Learning curves

• Seniors have learned to adapt to changes in their daily life due to COVID-19.

Coronavirus

Impacts of COVID-19 on the senior class

• Using her craft skills, and her Youtube platform of over 25 thousand followers, sophmore Stephanie Chung has begun to create masks to help her community stay safe during the outbreak of COVID-19. She has started a campaign, to not only create her own masks but get her followers and peers involved.

Coronavirus

Helping her community with a mask-making campaign

• 60% of U-High student respondents lost their summer job or activity due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Coronavirus

Students adapt summer plans, find new opportunities during social distancing

• EXPLOSIONS OF NEW MUSIC: Shortly into the early days of quarantine, Senior Jazz Aguilar released her debut single: Kamikaze. The energetic tune was recorded with the help of her bandmates Riley Edwards and Isabella Demoss, along with drummer Ian Clennan. Keep your eyes (and ears) open for more releases from Aguilar, as she is using quarantine to write her new album, as well as work on a music video for her already-released song. Photo by Risa Darlington-Horta.

Coronavirus

A musical response to COVID-19

• COVID in the community uncovers the members of the Cathedral Catholic High School community taking on the novel coronavirus.

Coronavirus

COVID in the community: Mrs. Nadine Kassity-Krich