2081
573
330

Battling adversity: Student exemplifies dedication despite a challenging condition

Junior+Erika+Holmberg+continues+to+thrive+within+the+sport+of+golf%2C+as+well+as+her+other+activities+and+academics%2C+while+dealing+with+difficulties+due+to+a+rare+condition+in+her+right+foot.+
Gene Holmberg
Junior Erika Holmberg continues to thrive within the sport of golf, as well as her other activities and academics, while dealing with difficulties due to a rare condition in her right foot.

Pleasant Valley runs based off of their expectations for students. Through athletics, academics, the arts and more, “total effort” is its motto. 

Junior Erika Holmberg has exemplified this quality, pushing through countless obstacles and portraying the importance of dedication and hard work. 

Holmberg has been a successful and determined golfer since she was five years old, and on top of that, she also succeeds immensely in academics, choir, orchestra and band. In each of these activities, she has had to put forth hours of training that test both her physical and intellectual abilities. 

These abilities have come to her naturally, along with her willingness to sacrifice time and effort in order to be the best. This mindset was born out of adversity for Holmberg, and it began at a very young age.

“I was born with a rare condition called bilateral club foot, which means that the tendons and ligaments in my feet were shortened from birth,” Holmberg explained. “On my first day of life I had already undergone treatment, and before the age of one I had experienced numerous surgeries and visits to the University of Iowa Hospital.”

From the day she was born, Holmberg has had to face difficulties unknown to many. After years of finding ways to work with her condition and adapt it to the athletic lifestyle she desired, she was faced with further challenges.

When she was in junior high, Holmberg began to feel the effects of her condition worsen. Although she had been successful in managing and dealing with the pain and setbacks it had caused before, it started to become debilitating. 

Her freshman and sophomore year evoked a turning point in her journey with this condition, and it was nothing short of a strenuous process. “During the winter of my sophomore year, I started the casting process for my foot, slowly stretching it out to prepare for surgery,” Holmberg explained.

The preparation for her surgery was painful in itself, but the process of surgery and recovery was its own feat. After having a tendon transfer in her right foot, multiple tendon cuts and countless other medical procedures, Holmberg had to undergo months of physical therapy and recovery. 

Throughout the entire process, Holmberg remained positive and optimistic, even during intense physical pain and mental strife. She continued to be grateful for the accomplishments she had been able to achieve before her surgery, and carried optimism with her throughout her recovery in the hopes of getting back to what she loved soon.

“PT was difficult, and re-learning how to walk was a little demoralizing, but to be able to stand on my own two feet again is a feeling unlike any other, and I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything,” Holmberg explained. 

Although she put on a brave face and showed immense strength through struggle, Holmberg was no stranger to frustration. As she was recovering from her surgery and attempting to get her health back to where it needed to be, her teammates were thriving in their golf season. 

“During the time in which I’d usually be preparing in the off season, I was sitting on an operating table getting my tendons all rearranged. “It was frustrating to see all of my hard work up to this point just be thrown away as I was starting all over again. I lost a lot of my confidence during this time, making me very impatient and eager to swing again,” Holmberg said.

Dealing with feelings of inadequacy and frustration with her situation created a difficult journey for Holmberg in all of her activities, and stepping back was very hard to overcome. “I was playing catch up in school, music, and golf, feeling as though I wasn’t accomplishing anything and was only letting people down. As a goal oriented person, it was hard for me to have to take a step back and focus on my own health first,” Holmberg described. 

Any obstacle can come with its own challenges. It often tests one’s mental, emotional and physical limits. This process was full of tests for Holmberg. Going through an event such as hers, in a time period in her life where growth and development are so crucial, created necessity for a secure support system. For Holmberg, this was not a problem. 

“The abundance of support and care that came from my family, friends, coaches, music directors, and teachers was insane. They were not only accommodating, but so supportive of me during this entire process,” Holmberg reflected. “They all made sure I was comfortable at every event, and would always check in to see how I was doing.”

Holmberg has shown strength and determination in the face of adversity, and that has not gone unnoticed. Her accomplishments pre and post surgery have been examples of her mindset, as well as the impact she makes on those around her. 

Mike Nedelcoff has been Holmberg’s golf coach during her high school career. He has seen her grow and develop as an athlete as well as an individual. “Her desire to do her best at anything she takes part in is easily seen by a trained educator and coach. I have never heard a word of ‘woe is me’ from this outstanding student athlete,” he said.

Her surgery was a setback, but Nedelcoff has never seen her attitude waver. “Her ‘what’s up next attitude’ is always on her plate which is quite full beyond golf.  Music, both band, orchestra and vocal are other passions of Erika’s. She attacks those with the same passion and dedication as golf and her academics,” Nedelcoff shared.

Nedelcoff’s description of Holmberg describes the qualities of someone who exemplifies “total effort” in all they do. Holmberg has never let her condition or the hardships she has had to endure shake her, and Nedelcoff has seen her optimistic mindset in action.

“Erika went through a very challenging recovery period physically over the last year and has come out the other side stronger, faster and more powerful because of it. I know Erika will be successful regardless of what she chooses to do in life because of her perseverance, dedication and her leadership ability,” Nedelcoff explained. 

Behind the plethora of accomplishments Holmberg has under her belt is a story of perseverance and mental strength. As a result of her mindset, he has remained determined even during a debilitating setback. 

This story was originally published on Spartan Shield on April 20, 2021.