Cherry Hill High School East

Breaking the Glass Ceiling: Women’s History Month

In+honor+of+Womens+History+Month%2C+Eastside+celebrates+womens+achievements+and+contributions+in+history.++

Melissa Vital ('23)

In honor of Women’s History Month, Eastside celebrates women’s achievements and contributions in history.

In honor of Women’s History Month in the month of March, Eastside presents a celebration of female representation in various aspects of our daily lives. In honor of this month, we encourage women to “break through the glass ceiling” and achieve the highly-elevated success that may seem unattainable in a discriminatory environment. This includes not only women working hard for their success, but also allowing that success to be more accessible to them by battling the constant barrier of male privilege.

Overall, we celebrate Women’s History Month in order to honor, commend, and celebrate the accomplishments, strides and breakthroughs that women have achieved in the fight for gender equality.

This story was originally published on March 26, 2021, and continues on Eastside.

• Survivors of assault face much more than the event itself.

Surviving Assault: The obstacles to coming forward about sexual abuse

• Kashmiri Pandits face a struggle in returning to their homelands due to being continuously oppressed

A Kashmiri Pandit tragedy survivor recounts his gruesome experiences

• Social studies teacher Nicholas Covington poses against the whiteboard in his classroom after writing down notes for his economics class. Covington said that it was tough to tell everyone he was leaving, but glad they all understood.

“That was the hardest part I think, telling the students because there were audible gasps,” Covington said.

Social studies teacher opens up on departure from Ankeny Schools

• Freshman Safiya Elmanayar and her eighth grade sister, Sarah Elmanayer, founded a local Egyptian dessert company, S&S Sweets. Their desserts are available to order through their Instagram and Facebook pages through a form.

Traditional treats

• Junior Callan Spence working on a sculpture of the University of Texas Longhorn mascot. Spence sees the UT fine arts program as one of many possibilities for his future as an artist. Photo courtesy of Chas Spence.

Cancer can’t stop Callan

• Conifers class of 2022 graduated last Saturday, May 21st. In reality we’ve all graduated at the end of the year, we’ve all done the same thing. Really, what it comes down to is that valedictorian is who devoted the most time for school, class salutatorian Jeb Barber said.

(Invalid)dictorian

• An illustration depicts a same-sex couple with a child, celebrating Pride Month together. Approximately 114,000 same-sex couples are currently raising children in the U.S., according to the UCLA School of Law Williams Institute.

Parenting with pride

• Sophomore Ryan Bischoff (left) and sophomore Brayden Klingensmith are junior firefighters at Station 104.

5 junior firefighters answer the call

• Tim and Annastacia Daugherty are leaving the district after 5 years. The Daughertys plan to move and resume teaching in Thailand.

On a bumper sticker

• Sexual assault allegations between two students at Broadway High have circulated through the social media pages of students. No means no has acted as the poster saying for the issue of consent.

Amidst allegations at Broadway High, Fulton-Wright outraged, Friend turns trauma to activism