Astrology Trend Leaves Many Starry-Eyed

Emmie Foley

A trend that has recently taken off, astrology is the study of celestial bodies and how they correlate to our everyday lives. “I think that astrology allows us to get to know more about the deeper reason as to why we are the way we are,” Prashu Sidella, freshman, said.

By Liza Cooper, Marquette High School

On a clear night, the sky is sprinkled with stars. Ordinary people may just see dots of light; scientists may see balls of gas.

People who participate in astrology, the study of the influence that stars and other celestial bodies have on everyday life, see formations in the sky.

Alexandria Rollet, professional astrologer, owns a business that helps other businesses reach their full potential using astrology. She said astrology helps individuals understand their experiences in life from a cosmic perspective and encourages people to make sense of what appears to be the unknown.

“Astrology is an important tool for self-discovery and living with the cycles of nature-,” Rollet said, “A practice that helps us live harmoniously as opposed to feeling as if the world was out to get us.”

Astrology has been around for thousands of years. The ancient Babylonians were one of the first societies to use astrology and horoscopes, according to Kepler College, an online school for the study of astrology. In fact, astrological tablets dating back to 2400 BCE were found in areas known for Babylonian inhabitants.

While it has existed for centuries, the concept has become a trend in the last few years, gaining popularity on social media apps such as TikTok and Instagram. #astrology on Instagram has 7.7 million posts.

For Nour Elbeshbeshy, freshman, astrology is a newfound hobby. She started noticing astrology through her social media feed, which inspired her to delve deeper into the subject.

“I looked more into the complexities of astrology through apps like Co-Star, which definitely deepened my understanding of it,” she said.

Elbeshbeshy recommends for people who are interested in astrology to start learning the basics through YouTube and Google.

Zodiac signs, perhaps the most well-known aspect of astrology, are said by various astrologers to influence personality traits and compatibility with others.

Prashu Sidella, freshman, said zodiac signs and the way they correlate to a person’s traits are an aspect of astrology that interests her.

Zodiac signs are also called sun signs because they are determined by the position of the sun on the day a person was born.

“I have a Gemini sun, and people [with this sun] are usually very witty and love to learn,” Sidella said. “I have found that many people I know with this sign, as well as myself, can relate to this.”

Certain signs are said to be compatible with other signs, like Aries and Aquarians or Tauruses and Libras. The more compatible signs are, the more fruitful and fulfilling their relationships are said to be.

Sidella said she does not swear by compatibility.

“I believe that zodiac signs can affect the way you are, but you shouldn’t treat someone differently solely based on them,” Sidella said.

Even though astrology can be fun to learn about and practice, Rollet said it is irresponsible to use it as an excuse for individual problems.

“Astrology gives us a framework for understanding potentials,” she said. “It is our responsibility to cultivate the highest forms of those potentials, as opposed to succumbing to the lowest forms.”

This story was originally published on Marquette Messenger on May 15, 2021.