1885
550
319

Noodle the Pug Determines Bones vs. No Bones Days

Annie Alcorn (she/her)
Ms. Kimberly Moon said she loves to wear her no bones sweatshirt to school and talk to her students and fellow teachers about Noodle. “I love when people come up to me and comment on my sweatshirt,” Moon said. “I think it’s a super fun way for us to connect.”

Rachel Melton, junior, was scrolling on TikTok a month ago when she came across a video of a pug falling onto his dog bed, and his owner yelling “no bones day!” at the camera. Melton said she was immediately intrigued. 

The pug is Noodle and the owner is Jonathan Graziano, who has since blown up on the social media app TikTok. When Grazino posted his first “no bones” video, he acquired 434.1 thousand likes. 

In the video, Graziano picked up Noodle, and when he let go, Noodle quickly fell back down onto his dog bed. It became a joke in the comments between viewers that it was going to be a “no bones” day. 

Graziano then created a game with his followers: if Noodle falls down and has a “no bones” day, everyone else is inevitably going to have a bad day. Conversely, if Noodle stays standing and has a “bones” day, it is destined to be a good day. Graziano has almost 4.5 million fans who follow his account to find out the fate of their day. 

I like that he [Graziano] makes sure no one is ever super down on themself,” Moon said. “I think his account is definitely one of the most positive ones out there.

— Kimberly Moon

Melton said she follows Graziano on TikTok and checks on Noodle every morning. She said there is definitely some correlation between Noodle’s bones or no bones days with her own.

“I have found that most days are spot on,” Melton said, “but obviously there are going to be some off days.”

Regardless of the outcome, Melton said watching Graziano’s videos with Noodle always brightens her mood. 

Kimberly Moon, language arts teacher, said that she and the other language arts teachers have started sharing the videos and talking about Noodle to each other . 

“Sometimes the videos aren’t posted until mid-morning,” Moon said. “So, we are already at school and we get to find out whether today is bones or no bones together.”

Moon said she feels these videos are a nice change from all the discouraging and serious stuff on social media.

“I like that he [Graziano] makes sure no one is ever super down on themself,” Moon said. “I think his account is definitely one of the most positive ones out there.”

Taylor Litteken, study hall teacher, was first introduced to bones and no bones days when a friend sent her a TikTok video of Noodle. 

I think it’s kind of ridiculous the way some people rely on Noodle,” Downs said. “It’s important that we all remember it’s just a game and we can’t let it influence us that much.

— Ellie Downs

“I’ve realized that the days actually line up correctly most of the time,” Litteken said. “The day that Noodle decides is a bones day turns out to actually be a really good day.”

Litteken said she and her friend now play a game between them to send the videos back and forth, and, at the end of the day, they compare the accuracy between Noodle and the actual events that happened during their days. 

“I think it’s getting to be the time of year where everyone becomes stressed and overwhelmed,” Litteken said. “These videos are light-hearted and always make me laugh, which is why I like them so much.”

Litteken has a letter board in her classroom that lets her students know if it is a bones or no bones day. She said a handful of students have come up to her and talked to her about it. 

Ellie Downs, junior, is in Litteken’s third hour study hall class, and she said that having teachers and students engaging in the trend makes it more amusing.

“I think having the letter board up in the study hall room is a fun way to get students’ attention and update us each day,” Downs said. “It’s cool that even some of the teachers know about this trend and are participating.”

After Downs found Noodle on TikTok two weeks ago, she said she now watches Noodle every morning, and it has been entertaining comparing her days with Noodles. She said she expects to have a bad day if Noodle has a no bones day. 

“While I do think it is fun, and I have found our days correlating 90 percent of the time, I try really hard not to let a pug on TikTok determine how my days will go,” Downs said.

Downs said she noticed many of Graziano’s followers get angry at him in the comments when Noodle’s prediction of the day contradicts the reality of their day. 

“I think it’s kind of ridiculous the way some people rely on Noodle,” Downs said. “It’s important that we all remember it’s just a game and we can’t let it influence us that much.”

This story was originally published on Marquette Messenger on November 18, 2021.