2059
569
327

Their Parents Were Pros

Several students at NASH have fathers who were once professional athletes.
photo courtesy of Porter family
Former Steeler Joey Porter, on the field at Super Bowl XL with his sons Joey, Jr. and Jacob, a current senior at NASH.

For all but a few students, having a parent who is or was a professional athlete sounds far out of reach. But several of those select few walk the halls of NASH each day.

NASH senior Kolin Dinkin’s father is Darnell Dinkins, who played professionally for the New York Giants, Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, and New Orleans Saints. Darnell Dinkins grew up in Pittsburgh, earning football recognition at Schenley High School and the University of Pittsburgh. Throughout his career, Dinkins became one of the NFL’s most accomplished players. 

Kolin looks up to his father, but he’s able to keep things in perspective. 

“I just feel like my dad is a regular old dad who makes the same mistakes as any other dad,” he said.

Many advantages come with having a father who was in the professional league. During games, families are able to sit in special seats close to the field and gain closer access to the team. 

“I have been inside the locker rooms. They are always really cool and make me want to get on the field to play,” Kolin said. “My dad has made me very familiar with athletic settings and experiences.”

Darnell Dinkins’s legacy is passed down not only to Kolin, who plans to play football in college, but also to Kolin’s sister (Kayla, a Tulane volleyball player) and brother Khalil (a Penn State football player). 

NASH senior Jacob Porter’s father, Joey Porter, played professionally for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Miami Dolphins, and Arizona Cardinals. He played in the professional league for 13 years, winning a Super Bowl title. 

Jacob, along with Kolin, played his last season of football for North Allegheny this year. While on the field, Jacob would look into the stands for recognition from his father. 

“Although my dad might be chilling and enjoying his retirement at home right now, he is not really fully retired,” Porter said. “He is really the coach whom I have learned best from.” 

Jacob said he is grateful to have a skilled father to look up to, though he admitted that there are challenges that come with the privilege.

“Being able to understand high-level play is an advantage, as well as getting coaching from the best places and people possible,” Porter said. “One disadvantage is that some people try to attribute my success to my father’s success, but that happens with everything, so it is fun to prove them wrong.” 

Although my dad might be chilling and enjoying his retirement at home right now, he is not really fully retired. He is really the coach whom I have learned best from.

— Jacob Porter, NASH senior

NASH junior Mia Tuman’s father is Jerame Tuman, who played tight end for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Arizona Cardinals. In 2006, Tuman won a Super Bowl playing for the Steelers. 

Mia readily acknowledges the advantages of having such a talented athlete as a father. Before a big volleyball or basketball game, she looks to him for pre-game pep talk. 

“He gives 10/10 pep talks before big games. He understands the pressures of playing at a high level and is always able to talk through things with me,” Mia said.

But like Kolin and Jacob, Mia admitted that it’s not always easy.

“The main disadvantage would be our post-game talks,” she said. “Those can get pretty intense.”

Nonetheless, Tuman cherishes the opportunities she has had as a result of her father’s professional career.

“I have met Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Brett Keisel, Aaron Smith, Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward, Alan Faneca, and Larry Fitzgerald, [along with many other football pros]” she said.

Dinkins, Porter, and Tuman are not alone.  Elijah Smith, Michael Conrad, and Chloe Hoke are among other NASH students whose fathers reached the highest level of their athletic careers.  Their parents are celebrities to many around the world, but to these few students, they’re dads first — role models not only to look up to but also to learn from.

This story was originally published on The Uproar on January 27, 2022.