DGN graduate David Edwards makes first Super Bowl

By Nathan Maniskas, Downers Grove North High School

Making the Super Bowl is no small feat and for DGN alum David Edwards, this is not where he expected to be when he was in high school.  Now he’s here and gearing up to play in the biggest game of his life.

“When I was in high school I had a vision of myself playing in the NFL,” Edwards said. “[I] dreamed about playing in a Super Bowl and to be living that out is an incredible feeling.”

Not even his high school coaches thought he would be here. Before being selected by the Los Angeles Rams in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft, the former Wisconsin Badger was 4 inches shorter and weighed around 100 lbs lighter playing quarterback at DGN under Head Coach John Wander.

“Downer North has never had anyone in the NFL, so to expect this thing that’s a one in a million shot is crazy,”  Wander said. “I knew he had potential but no one would say they knew he would turn into the player he is today, starting in a Super Bowl.”

People may have not thought he would be in the Super Bowl today but they never questioned whether he had the right mindset to make it. Trojans defensive coordinator Keith Lichtenberg has nothing but praise for Edwards from their time together at DGN.

“What we knew about Dave was he was as good as it gets as a person, as a player, and he was about as well rounded of a player we ever had,” Lichtenberg said. “Dave was a great leader for us as a quarterback, certainly his size made it look like he should have been other things as well, but Dave always took to whatever coaching was given to him. I’ve never been surprised at his success so far in his career so I can’t say I’m surprised now that he’s playing in the big game.”

Not only does Downers Grove North have a player in the Super Bowl, Rams starting center Brian Allen also hails from the West Suburban Silver Conference. He attended and played football for Hinsdale Central before committing to Michigan State. Allen and Edwards squared off against each other at both the high school and collegiate levels before now starting alongside one another as teammates in the NFL.

“It’s funny to think Brian and I grew up a town over from each other and ended up on the same team. He’s been a great friend and teammate since I’ve been in LA and I’m grateful for that,” Edwards said.

This year has tested Edwards as much as any other, but his hard work continues to pay off.

“This season has been the most challenging since I have been in the NFL but also the most fun. You really get tested in-season and to see us go undefeated in December after losing three straight shows what kind of guys we have in our locker room to get it done in this game.”

Super Bowl LVI kicks off Sunday Feb 13 at 5:30 PM on NBC, as Edwards and the Rams take on the Cincinnati Bengals.

This story was originally published on DGN Omega on February 12, 2022.