Students Walk Out After Tragedy at Robb Elementary

Wanting their voice heard, over 300 students walked out of Dominion for 21 minutes to speak about the tragedy and to make a call to action.

By Caelan Jones, Dominion High School

Today from 12:00 pm to 12:21 pm, led by Jacob Wesoky, Danielle Douglas and Nora Thimmesch, approximately 350 students walked out of school to support the 21 victims of the Robb Elementary School shooting in Uvalde, Texas.

Inspired by Students Demand Action, the trio planned the walkout last night around 10 pm. “We just planned the event for two hours about what would happen. We [used] social media to get the word out, just because it was the fastest way. We planned this because it is important to know that if we do this, lawmakers would know that students and children, and parents all care about ending gun violence and helping gun safety become an actuality,” Thimmesch said.

As the walkout was planned late last night, administrators were only informed of the plans this morning. “I appreciate making the point that was important to be made and doing so in an organized and kind fashion. You know, we need to be determined about this, but we can also be kind and peaceful. I was glad that there was no violence, harsh words, or hateful speech. [That] is not the answer,” Dr. Brewer said.

Motivated to invoke change in our community, Wesoky has been involved in protesting and standing up for his beliefs since middle school.  “The fact that it keeps happening over and over and over and over and over again, it’s not acceptable. After Sandy Hook, the whole country, the whole world were in solidarity. The country pledged thoughts and prayers, pledged to do something about it. And then they didn’t, nothing changed. And again, it happened in Parkland, we walked out four years ago, and nothing changed. We need to keep speaking out,” Wesoky said.

Students were met with signs and grouped together at the front of the school, listening to the speeches put together.

“I don’t think we should get shot up in school. And I think we should be able to grow up feeling safe. Hopefully, after this walkout, money can be raised and more people will be aware of what’s going on and what can be done to have things changed,” Nancy El-Nahal said.

Though many are hopeful regarding the possible change that could occur due to the walkout, many have voiced that they are worried about what the actual impact would be. “I’m honestly not sure what will change, going back to our past experiences. But I’m hoping that new legislation can be proposed and that some more attention will be brought to the issues, and then hopefully with a more Democratic-leaning Senate at the moment, bills could begin to pass,” Molly Battaglia said.

Due to the fact that 19 of the victims were elementary students, many have voiced how it has motivated them more to change and fight for gun safety. “These are little kids. This was an elementary school, which is the saddest thing. They go to learn and learn about life and barely have a life yet. That’s the sad thing to see. Even I don’t want to go to school having to fear for my life. Just like [government officials] shouldn’t have to go to their job fearing for their life,” Lucas Caldas said.

“If you just do the walkout and nothing else that does nothing. The walkout should inspire you to take further action beyond the walkout. So if you’re old enough to vote, go vote. If you can donate money to an organization or a political campaign that supports gun violence prevention legislation, just keep doing stuff. Don’t stop here,” Wesoky said.

This story was originally published on DHS Press on May 26, 2022.