Students travel to France for study abroad experience

Andrea Zelen

French students pose at the Eiffel Tower.

By Kasey Carlson, Whitney Young Magnet High

A group of Whitney Young students and faculty have just returned from a ten-day trip to France. The trip was one of several study abroad trips offered through the school this year.

Each student stayed with a French student and host family, some of whom stayed with American students when visiting our country earlier this year. All students stayed in the Paris area. Activities for the trip included a day trip to Versailles, visiting Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower, and seeing art at the Louvre.

“I wanted to experience the culture, and I’ve always heard amazing things about Paris,” said Andrea Zelen (’15), one of the students on the trip.

The trip also allowed the opportunity for students to be immersed in French. “I spoke French with my host family exclusively,” said Matthew Patrick (‘15). Leslie Grove (’15), who is currently taking AP French, shared that being in France improved her language skills as well. “I’d never been very confident in my spoken French before the trip…chilling with an exclusively-French-speaking host family was super helpful for me,” she said.

According to Grove, the trip was not only exciting and educational, but a bonding experience. “As a senior, this experience was especially moving for me, as the last time that I may speak to these people, whether in English or in French, rapidly approaches,” she said.

For students who are disappointed they missed out on this study abroad opportunity, science teacher Todd Katz will be hosting a meeting on Dec. 11 for students interested in going on several different science and ecology trips. The destinations for the three trips are Alaska, Israel, and Trinidad and Tobago.

According to an email from administration, these trips are not district-sponsored. Travel and boarding costs tend to make educational trips pricey, but students that cannot afford these experience to find other ways to study abroad. Many scholarships and programs allow students to travel the world for educational purposes. Whitney Young students are encouraged to apply to the 2014-2015 Global Navigator Scholarship awards, which offer $20,000 in scholarships for participating students.