2059
569
327

Students share World Cup excitement and traditions

Senior+Elvin+Xiloq+and+sophomores+Ronaldo+Aguilar+and+Rafael+Lopes+wear+their+team+jerseys+on+Nov.+17+in+celebration+of+the+World+Cup.+
Angela Ledesma
Senior Elvin Xiloq and sophomores Ronaldo Aguilar and Rafael Lopes wear their team jerseys on Nov. 17 in celebration of the World Cup.

After waiting for four years, the FIFA World Cup 2022 was delayed an extra four months due to the hot summer weather in the host country, Qatar. Expectedly, soccer fans all over the world are eagerly awaiting Sunday’s start of FIFA World Cup 2022.

“This World Cup will be kind of weird because they switched the time,” sophomore Rafael Lopes said. “The World Cup is supposed to be in July or June. But in Qatar, summer is crazy hot so I think that it shouldn’t be there.”

Due to Qatar’s intense summer heat, this World Cup will be held from Nov. 20 to Dec. 18, making it the first tournament not to be held in May, June or July and reduced to a one-month period. The schedule also conflicts with LaLiga, which is the men’s top professional soccer division of the Spanish soccer league system that many World Cup players compete in. 

“I don’t really like that it’s in Qatar because a lot of players are getting injured right now since it’s mid-season of their leagues,” said senior Elvin Xiloq, who is rooting for both Mexico and Argentina, although they are competing in the same group stage. 

Although some students like Lopes and Xiloq do have concerns that the World Cup is being held in Qatar, others are just excited to see the World Cup. And with such big events, there is always an occasion for a party. 

“Every time when there is a game, we all go to my aunt’s house,” junior Elizabeth Garcia said. “My whole family is over there and we’re all just having a blast watching the games. We all bet money on a team and whoever wins, wins all the money. We all root for different teams because no one can bet for the same team. And I’m going for Argentina.”

Many families also have traditions that are alike no matter the cultural differences. Sophomore Ronaldo Aguilar also celebrates the World Cup with a barbecue while cheering on Portugal, eager for Cristiano Ronaldo’s victory. 

“I go to my uncle’s house and we have a carne asada and sometimes after the games, we go play soccer to blow off some steam because when we watch soccer, we get really energetic,”  sophomore Aguilar said.

Lopes, who recently moved from Brazil, anticipates that the younger generation on the Brazilian official team will elevate it to the finals. Though he is very confident in Brazil winning this World Cup, his second choice is Portugal as his father’s family and favorite player Ronaldo are from there.

“In Brazil, we have a really big culture related to the World Cup because all the countries watch it,” Lopes said. “I used to meet with my friends and watch it, have a barbecue and after we play soccer because when we watch it, we want to play like them. It’s a party for us.”

This story was originally published on The Pearl Post on November 18, 2022.