Fordham Students Give Back Through Serving the City Internship Program

The program offers students at FCLC and FCRH paid internships opportunities with nonprofit organizations across New York City

COURTESY OF BRUNO PALOMARES

Start Lighthouse is one nonprofit available through Serving the City that works to improve child literacy through a social justice lens.

By ANDREW ARMOUR, Fordham University - The Observer

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article included information regarding a connection between the Center for Educational Innovation and the hiring of a full-time “experiential learning” director. The experiential learning director position is unaffiliated with and separate from the development of the Center for Educational Innovation. The deans of both FCLC and FCRH are not involved  with the Center for Educational Innovation. As of Feb. 9, the article has been updated to reflect this information. 

Fordham’s Serving the City internship program is an initiative that began in the summer of 2020 to provide liberal arts students at Fordham College at Lincoln Center (FCLC) and Fordham College at Rose Hill (FCRH) with access to paid internships and connections to nonprofit organizations. According to the program’s website, students receive a stipend, funded by the university’s donors, for internships relating to arts and culture, health, education, and social justice.

Originally called the Cultural Engagement Internships program, Serving the City was renamed in January 2023 to reflect the types of internships available. It was created following the university’s shift to online learning during the COVID-19 pandemic when Fordham partnered with the New York Historical Society and the Museum of Arts and Design.

Laura Auricchio, dean of FCLC, said that the program stemmed from a realization that the Lincoln Center campus could better utilize opportunities in the city. She added that the program allows Fordham to live up to its “New York is my campus, Fordham is my school” slogan.

Auricchio and Mast shared that Fordham alumni and donors noticed that their contributions allowed students to do important work that has created a cycle of impact between Fordham, partner organizations and the New York City community.

“The timing was important because museums had shifted online, and they needed a lot of hands-on help, and our students saw jobs and internships disappear,” Auricchio said. “It was important for us to develop internships that would be meaningful paid experiences for liberal arts students at FCLC and FCRH.”

After discovering the need for and importance of internships at cultural institutions, Auricchio partnered with Maura Mast, dean of FCRH, to provide paid internship opportunities to students.

“They’re not making coffee; they’re partnering with groups making a difference,” Mast added.

According to Desirae Colvin, director of administration, communication and strategic initiatives at Fordham Lincoln Center, over 60 students have completed internships with more than 35 organizations.

With increased funding for the program, the number of opportunities available have multiplied. According to Desirae Colvin, director of administration, communication and strategic initiatives at Fordham Lincoln Center, over 60 students have completed internships with more than 35 organizations. Approximately half of the organizations had internships available for the 2022-23 academic year.

The deans said that they believe Serving the City supports goals that align with the Jesuit mission as well as with the university’s 2021-26 Vision and Strategic Plan. They also hope the program introduces students to resources like the Career Center and Handshake.

Gemma Walker, FCLC ’24 and an intern at PEN America since fall 2022, spoke about her experience working with an organization that focused on defending free expression. As part of her internship, Walker assisted with opening mail from inmates who are part of PEN America’s Prison and Justice Writing program.

“Getting to read handwritten stories and letters from people behind bars is just such an intimate experience, to look into lives that you don’t get to see,” she said. “That has been extremely eye-opening, and I get to spend that much more time on my internship because I don’t have to worry about working a part-time job on top of it.”

Organizations have also expressed that they appreciate the value Serving the City interns bring.

Kierstin Oliver, FCLC ’24, is currently taking part in Serving the City, having received an internship pioneering the development of teen programming at Poster House.

“I’m majoring in African and African American studies and visual art, so I like the idea of blending arts with culture,” she said. “I like getting so many young people engaged in the museum. Being able to encourage kids to make their own 1960s counterculture artwork and haikus inspired by the Made in Japan exhibit is just super awesome.”

Organizations have also expressed that they appreciate the value Serving the City interns bring. Walker’s supervisor, Jess Abolafia, program assistant for prison and justice writing at PEN America, joined PEN America a few weeks after Walker and described her as an “integral” team member. Abolafia said that Walker showed her how to answer letters and has been a soundboard for other projects the team is working on.

Dan Zauderer, founder of Grassroots Grocery, one of the partner organizations, said that “Fordham interns have helped with everything from grant writing to canvassing the community,” adding that he hopes the program will introduce students to the nonprofit world.

“I hear a lot from liberal arts students about Gabelli’s internships, and now I can say, ‘We have a program for you.'”Maura Mast, dean of FCRH

Melissa Kiewiet, director of development and community engagement at the Dyckman Farmhouse, echoed this sentiment and shared that the contributions from Serving the City interns have “brought more money and attention” to a “community-focused” and “social justice minded” institution.

Serving the City continues to seek new organizations and funding for future growth. Auricchio and Mast noted that the program has shaped Fordham’s offerings in the field of  “experiential learning,” where students gain real-life experiences outside of the classroom.

The deans and Vice Provost Jonathan Crystal are considering hiring a full-time director of experiential learning to connect students to Fordham opportunities like study abroad, independent research and programs like Social Innovation Collaboratory, the Fordham Center for Community Engaged Learning and Serving the City.

“I hear a lot from liberal arts students about Gabelli’s internships, and now I can say, ‘We have a program for you,’” Mast said.

This story was originally published on The Observer on February 8, 2023.