Class of 2016 takes over ‘Cupid’s Cafe’

Class of 2016 takes over ‘Cupid’s Cafe’

Christina Howie

Christina Howie

Christina Howie

Cupid's Cafe will be held on February 18th at 7:30 in the high school cafeteria.

By Christina Howie, Glen Rock High School

On Thursday, Jan. 8, officers from the class of 2016 held a meeting to discuss the much-anticipated Cupid’s Café, a Valentine’s Day-themed, cabaret-style evening, which will be held at Glen Rock High School on Feb. 18.

Cupid’s Café is similar to a coffeehouse performance; students perform music without the use of amps, and with only one keyboard. Two years ago, the class of 2014 came up with the idea as a fundraising tool. Now that they’ve graduated, the torch has been passed.

Officers have received some guidance from Mrs. Ann Comarato, previously a class adviser for the Class of 2014. “It is really a fun, intimate night of great songs and performers,” she said. Comarato has also given pointers in set-up, ticket prices and how to successfully carry out the entire evening.

Adam Donatuccio, class president of 2016, said he’ll be making sure that everyone performing has rehearsed and is ready to go. “I was told to make as many cheesy jokes for the hosts to read as possible, because people always love that,” he said.

Although the officers are interested in putting their own twist on the evening, they don’t want to deviate from the original set-up.

“We like the way [Cupid’s Cafe] runs and the whole concept of the event,” recording secretary Julia Gaffey said. “I, along with the other officers, intend to keep the evening running smoothly so that it’s fun for everyone.”

Next week there will be another meeting to discuss progress of Cupid’s Café along with other upcoming events, such as the Christopher Barron fundraiser, the teacher talent show, and junior prom.