2059
573
327

Callen on the course

Sophomore golfer’s experience, mental approach, honesty lead to success as player, team leader and youth coach
Ingrid Smith
Sophomore Callen Romell poses with her district team championship medal. Romell also placed second individually at the 5A district meet.

Sophomore Callen Romell started playing golf at 5 years old, and ever since, all of her free time has been spent on the golf course.

“My dad coached at a program called First Tee, so when I was old enough he signed me up for it,” Romell said. At first, I just played because my dad played, so it was a bonding experience for us. When I saw that I wasn’t terrible, I stuck with it.”

It’s nice to see their smiles once they finally understand something and can see themselves getting better.

— sophomore Callen Rommell on coaching youth golf

Romell herself began coaching at First Tee at the age of 11, and considers the years since her greatest accomplishment as a golfer. Romell coaches classes every Saturday and helps with spring, summer and winter break camps.

“It’s nice to see their smiles once they finally understand something and can see themselves getting better,” Romell said.

Clifford Stanchos, history teacher and second-year golf coach, appreciates Romell’s dedicated approach to the sport.

“Whenever we get to practice, you know you don’t have to tell Callen what to do,” Stanchos said. “She’s determined to improve her game, so she just goes right out to start the drills without any prompting. She’s focused, serious and driven to improve her golf game.”

Being new to coaching, Stanchos welcomes Romell’s experienced and confident presence on the team.

“She’s helped out at the course enough to know that she can step up and really help her fellow players,” Stanchos said.

At the beginning of the school year, Romell struggled to balance her schoolwork and social life with school golf and her avid participation at First Tee. While Romell had to take a step back from golf for the first couple of months of the school year, she has since jumped back in with both golf-cleated feet.

She’s helped out at the course enough to know that she can step up and really help her fellow players

— golf coach Clifford Stanchos

“Once I figured it all out, I was slowly able to start playing more and more,” Romell said. “Now I know what my workloads are, and with the free time I have, I make the choice to go and play. It’s a struggle at times; it’s definitely a bit stressful, but I know it’s because I love it.”

Romell’s love for the sport is largely thanks to the friendships she’s made on the golf course.

“Being a girl in golf, it’s a tighter-knit community,” Romell said. “As you move up, there are fewer people, so you really connect.”

Despite her love for it, Romell is reluctant to play golf in college because of how large of a time commitment it is. While she may not be on her college’s golf team, she’ll still make sure to find the time to play regularly without the pressure of being a collegiate athlete.

“Not playing golf would be so weird because it’s been such a big part of my life since I can remember,” Romell said. “I love it so much, but at the same time, I’m not sure if it’s something I can keep up long term and not get burnt out.”

Charles Neel White is a youth programming manager and golf instructor at First Tee. In the eight months since he took on his position, he has observed Romell’s frankness in her role as a children’s coach.

She tells you how it is, which in the long run will benefit a kid that has the ability to be great.

— First Tee youth programming manager Chris White

“She tells you how it is,” White said, “which in the long run will benefit a kid that has the ability to be great.”

White has observed Romell’s character in addition to her coaching skills. He describes Romell as inclusive, attentive, strong-willed, smart and vulnerable.

“The way she faces difficulties in her personal life translates to the way she performs on the golf course,” White said. “I think she will have success in this game whether competitively or recreationally because of the perseverance she displays.”

This story was originally published on The Shield Online on April 9, 2023.