Feature Teacher: Pete Harry’s music makes learning fun

Pete Harry

Let’s assume that everyone knows what Youtube is. You know, that place you go if you want to watch a funny animal video or to listen to that new song?

Well, Bellwood-Antis High School teacher Pete Harry uses Youtube for a completely different reason.

Harry’s Youtube page has over 70 million views and over 70 thousand subscribers. He makes all types of educational music videos for teachers and students to use to help create different learning environments.

For the past nine years, Harry has been a part of the Bellwood-Antis School District as a kindergarten teacher at Myers Elementary. He teaches all of the core subjects using music and pictures.

I love meeting the new kids, the ‘fresh batch’ so to speak…I love the Bellwood community.”

— Pete Harry, kindergarten teacher

“He’s a very creative and talented teacher who integrates fun music and lyrics into his curriculum,” said Myers principal Terri Harpster.

Harry said that when he was young, he had many teachers that cared about him not just in class, but after school hours. He wants to do that same thing for young kids today.

Harry summed up his educational philosophy as “warm and demanding, music and movement.” He wants to be there for his students and help them accomplish what needs to get done.

“I love meeting the new kids, the ‘fresh batch’ so to speak.” Harry said. “I love the Bellwood community…how we have sports games and everyone is there, how we have a parade and everyone is there.”

Harry said he would love to teach for the rest of his life, but he would also like to widen his music website by devoting more time to it and getting more songs out there.

Meanwhile, kindergarten student Bryson Hescox appreciates Harry for the simple things: “I like that we get to sing.”