Beverage ban is all wet

Prohibition on drinking beverages in class could be harmful to health

Starting this school year, Civic Memorial students have not been allowed to bring outside drinks into the building or drink beverages in the classroom, a change that could be harmful to students’ health.

Many of these students are outraged; some need their coffee to start off the morning before a long day of school, while others just prefer to stay hydrated with a water bottle throughout the day. It is suspected the main reason for the administration’s beverage ban is fear of damaging students’ new MacBook Airs, but is a laptop more important than a student’s health? Many people do not realize how severe dehydration can be, especially to kids in school.

A study conducted by the Center for Disease Control’s National Health and Nutrition Examination has found that 85 percent of schoolchildren are dehydrated, a problem that is drawing national attention. When the brain is even slightly dehydrated it can decrease mental performance by as much as 10 percent.

Water is vital for the brain’s function. Dr. Phillippa Norman said, “Even mild levels of dehydration can impact school performance.”

Senior Jennifer Guetersloh said, “Coming from a person with medical problems, it is hard to stay alert in class without drinking water.”

Eight glasses of water are suggested throughout the day, and three to four of those should be during the traditional school hours. “I think students should have water bottles. It would be so much healthier if students could have water and drink it during class,” said Nurse Karen.

Doctors even recommend sending bottled water to school with their children to keep them healthy. Although our school does provide drinking fountains that are easily accessible, many of the teachers do not want their students leaving the classroom multiple times throughout the hour.

However, most of the teachers are lenient about students bringing beverages in their classrooms. Math teacher Mrs. Brittney Clark said, “As long as it’s water, I do not have a problem with students drinking in my class.”

Telling the students of CM they can not take water to classes is having a greater effect than the administration imagined. Although the technology has many benefits in the students’ learning experience, how much is it truly helping if a student’s brain is not functioning to the best of its capability?

The administration at CM should ask themselves a very important question: Is a laptop worth more than one of the students at this school?

View original story