Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Kaylee P.

Kaylee P.

Kaylee P.

Principal Cortney Couch joins Sergeant Rebecca Packard on the gym floor to sing along with the band. Vortex performed for the school on Monday, Feb. 9.

By Kaylee P.

The U.S. Air Force “Heartland of America Vortex” band traveled to David City High School on Feb. 9 to offer a clinic for middle and high school music students and hold a music concert for the student body.

Vortex entertained the school with music such as Bruno Mars’ “Uptown Funk” and Katy Perry’s “Roar.” The band consists of 15 members who travel to perform for schools and communities. All members of the band are enlisted officers in the Air Force with the mission of bringing music and messages from home to soldiers. The 15 members form groups that travel and spread music to help heal and lift spirits.

“Right after 9/11 we did a concert for a community, and it was probably the most moving concert we’ve ever done,” lead singer and Technical Sergeant Rebecca Packard said. “It was an opportunity to bring music that would help people heal from the atrocity that happened, help the community get back on its feet, help it heal.”

It was a good opportunity for our music students to see professional musicians and let everyone know there are other careers in the military [besides fighting].”

— Joe Albright, music director

While Vortex was at the school, the band held a clinic for music students. During the clinic, students learned about the effort and practice it takes to be a professional musician. Students also talked to the musicians about their successful musical careers.

“It was an opportunity we couldn’t have passed up. It was unique [and] something special,” music director Joe Albright said. “It was a good opportunity for our music students to see professional musicians and let everyone know there are other careers in the military [besides fighting].”

During the performance the DCHS band encouraged students to stand and dance. Even principal Cortney Couch joined the dancing when Packard brought him onto the gym floor. The choir joined Vortex to sing along to Lorde’s “Royals.” Packard was joined again by senior Alvaro M. for Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off.”

Being at a school was not new for Packard. Before singing for students and communities, Packard spent time as a drama teacher. However, Packard said she missed music.

“I have always loved to perform. I was teaching high school and I loved my students, but I missed music,” Packard said. “When the opportunity to audition for the Air Force band came up, I took it and have loved it ever since.”

Vortex wants to continue to bring music and messages from home, not only to communities and students, but also to soldiers. They hope to continue to recognize veterans and show support for high school music programs.

• Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Arts & Entertainment

Bona Fide: “Flower Boy”

• Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Arts & Entertainment

Sharlie, others play basement show

• Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Audio

Around Sound Podcast

• Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Music

Flaming Lips poorly modernize classic album

• Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Music

An adventure in listening

• Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Music

Singer-songwriter performs in pajamas

• Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Music

Three Days Grace showcases new talent on fifth album

• Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Movies

Senior Luepke leaves children ‘Frozen’ with delight

• Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Music

Fifth Harmony brings girl power back to charts

• Air Force band holds concert at DCHS

Music

Crazed fans camp out for concert tickets