The gift of education

The gift of education

used with permission from Yuda Bands

used with permission from Yuda Bands

used with permission from Yuda Bands

Yuda Band's recipient Gloria Ajquajay

By Tim Flynn, Katherine Spieker, and Evan Moe

Back in November, Owatonna High School competed against Faribault High School in the annual week-long Cash Drive event. OHS students raised a total of $10,463.29 for the charity Yuda Bands.

The money raised will sponsor eight Guatemalan children’s dreams of receiving an education in the impoverished country.

This year’s donation was a record breaking one for Yuda Bands. In a press release on their site the organization said, “In all our years of certificate making, we’ve never made one quite like this!…Owatonna High School in Minnesota has funded over 20 years of education for students in Guatemala!”

OHS student council member and Cash Drive chairperson Grace McClintock said, “It was a very successful project, and I’m really happy with how it turned out.”

McClintock heard about the organization and the opportunities behind it at the National High School Student Council Convention in Orlando this year.

Many Guatemalan students share a similar lifestyle, with parents who are farmers and housewives. Some families have too many children to send them all to school. Yuda Bands helps kids like Gloria Ajquejay who said, “I had to quit studying for three years because my parents couldn’t afford to send me [to school].”

Find out more about the project here.