Hired or fired? Social media may determine the answer

What is your social media score? Kred, Klout say they know

Bradie Dodson

Bradie Dodson

Bradie Dodson

The student council's bulletin board has been encouraging student's to use Social media responsibly all year.

By Nathan Ruthardt

Social media has invaded most students’ lives, and some enjoy it, but parts of these modern communication tools can be tricky – and even dangerous. While sites and apps like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat have many benefits, they also can keep users from getting jobs, scholarships, and even acceptance into college.

Through social media, many spectacular things have happened: recovered engagement rings, long-lost siblings reunited, millions of dollars raised for charities. But there are more practical benefits, too.

Some companies have started interviewing only applicants that have well-established social media influence, checking their Kred and Klout scores t0 assess the impact the applicants’ posts have on others.

According to journalism teacher Lisa Roskens, Kred and Klout “give everyone a score – kind of like a credit bureau score – but instead of measuring one’s credit, they measure your online influence.”

Students in journalism are required to use social media sources to promote our school news site. I hope this training helps them to know how to use [social media] for future business purposes.””

— Journalism teacher Lisa Roskens

With the possibility of future employment being dependent on the influence students have in the social media realm, some advisers are encouraging students to learn how to use social media effectively and positively.

“Students in journalism are required to use social media sources to promote our school news site,” Roskens said. “I hope this training helps them to know how to use tools like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for future business purposes.”

Yet, not all students think they will need to be too concerned about their social media habits on their future employment opportunities.

“I don’t think that social media helps to get a job, because most of the good jobs do not involve any type of social media,” senior Trenton Fields said.

While benefits to social media do exist, negative occurrences are claiming attention. For example, stories of bullying through social media have flooded the nation. In addition, people have been hired and fired based on items placed – or not placed – on social media.

“I think people should be very careful with social media,”senior Shaunna Corley said. “Once you put something out there, you can’t take it back. It can always be found…the people interviewing you do go and look at things like that.”

Groom students have even seen some of the negative comments posted on sites like Yik Yak.

“I think that social media can be bad because of the rude things that people can post,” freshman Morgan Trevino said.

The reality is that most students are involved in some sort of interactive online forum, whether it be Google Classroom with their teacher and other students, or other sites with family and friends.

Gaggle.net prepared this list of sites and apps students use. The list comes complete with descriptions and cautions about each.