A new app to stop cyberbullying

By Kathryn Harter

Scared to speak against bullies online or in real life? In Indiana, there is now a solution.

The app BullyBøx allows students to submit pictures or screenshots directly to administrators of their school anonymously. This free app was created by 17-year-old Brandon Boynton, a victim of bullying, in Pendleton, Indiana.

“I think it could actually benefit a lot of people…[being] able to talk to somebody about it without anybody reciprocating or hurting you is a really important thing,” freshman Alex Volz said.

BullyBøx is a great idea for purging the system of bullies.”

— Jack Vaughan, freshman

According to Time for Kids, the app allows students to report bullying without being held accountable for giving information about the incident.

“BullyBøx is a great idea for purging the system of bullies. [People know] where bullies are and how they behave in the public eye or around adults, superintendents or teachers,” freshman Jack Vaughan said.

The app allows students to send the name of victim, name of bully, location, date/time, witnesses, a description and a photo or screenshot.

“I think it will be helpful in properly dealing with the situation and finding out who has been victimized and who should be punished for it,” junior Allison Wills said.

Cyberbullying is becoming a cycle of victims and bullies. According to the Cyberbullying Research Center, about 25% of students have been the victim of cyberbullying at some point in their lifetime.

The app is only currently in use by three schools in Indiana. Various students at West are advocating for the app to be in use in Missouri.

“I think that we need to do more research [on cyberbullying] and how to prevent it,” junior Tristan Johnson said.

Even with plenty of benefits coming from use of the app, negative effects of BullyBøx have also been reported.

“Somebody could submit a photo of a random person or get somebody who shouldn’t be in trouble into trouble. It could be falsely accusing,” Vaughan said.

Since BullyBøx is not currently avalibale for students at West, there are other ways to report cyber bullying at http://cyberbullying.us/report.

You can find out more about BullyBøx here.