IN PHOTOS: Hot Multi Summer

The Hustler Multimedia Staff kept their skills honed, using photography to record their experiences throughout the summer.

The+Milky+Way+rises+above+the+horizon+at+night+during+the+Summer+months+on+the+island+of+Hawaii+on+July+7%2C+2021.+

Josh Rehders

The Milky Way rises above the horizon at night during the Summer months on the island of Hawaii on July 7, 2021.

This summer was one packed full for our Multimedia staff, with some members traveling to Nebraska, Texas, Colorado and Hawaii while others stayed in the Nashville area. No matter where they were, the staff continued to grow their skills by documenting their adventures and experiences through photos. To showcase their talent and hard work, The Hustler has selected a few photos from some of our staff to share a summer recap.

Truman McDaniel is the Multimedia Sports Specialist for The Vanderbilt Hustler, and works as a Student Photographer for Vanderbilt Athletics. He covered the entirety of the VandyBoys post-season run, culminating in their NCAA College World Series Championship appearance in Omaha, Nebraska.

The VandyBoys clinched a spot in the 2021 College World Series after defeating East Carolina University in the Nashville Super Regional on June 12, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Truman McDaniel)
Carmichael Towers was safely imploded on July 31, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Truman McDaniel)
Vanderbilt Soccer prepares for their Exhibition Game against Chattanooga on August 8, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Truman McDaniel)

Josh Rehders is a Deputy Multimedia Director for the Vanderbilt Hustler, and interned with Woodlands Online in The Woodlands, Texas this summer. He covered the Houston Astros, as well as local events and high school sports. He also freelanced for the Oregon State Beavers baseball team, covering their appearance at the NCAA College World Series Fort Worth Regional.

The Oregon State Beavers face the Dallas Baptist Patriots at the NCAA CWS Fort Worth Regional on June 4, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Josh Rehders)
The Woodlands High School Class of 2021 graduates the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion on May 25, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Josh Rehders)
Market Street of the Woodlands hosts the South County 4th of July Parade on July 3, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Josh Rehders)

Shun Ahmed is a Staff Photographer for the Vanderbilt Hustler, and interned with Millions of Conversations in Nashville, Tennessee this summer. In her free time, she visited local Nashville arts galleries and farmers markets and took photos along the way.

Mural located at Nashville Farmers Market reads “One day I will rescue your brother, too” on July 18, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Shun Ahmed)
An assortment of posters at the Nashville Farmers Market on July 18, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Shun Ahmed)
Rock face sculptures lay in the garden at the Nashville Farmers Market on July 25, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Shun Ahmed)

Ethan Jiang is a Staff Photographer for the Vanderbilt Hustler, and takes photos for the Vanderbilt Cross Country and Track and Field Teams. This summer, he covered the Colorado State Track and Field Championships for his high school, Niwot High School in Niwot, Colorado.

Zane Bergen (#3) wins his first state title; he goes on to win three more on June 24, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Ethan Jiang)
Under-the-lights mile at the Niwot track in Niwot, CO on July 21, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Ethan Jiang)
Taylor James readies for a race at the state meet; she wins all four events she competes in on June 26, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Ethan Jiang)

Alex Venero is the Multimedia Director for the Vanderbilt Hustler, and is a Student Social Media Assistant with Vanderbilt Athletics. This summer, she produced content for VandyBoys social media accounts during their appearances in the NCAA College World Series, Nashville Regionals, and Super Regionals. After the post-season ended, she returned home where she continued using photography and social media to document her summer experiences.

Calm after the Storm – June 22, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Alex Venero)
The Atlanta Braves take on the Philadelphia Phillies at Citizens Bank Park on July 25, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Alex Venero)
Life is a Highway – July 14, 2021. (Hustler Multimedia/Alex Venero)

This story was originally published on The Vanderbilt Hustler on August 22, 2021.