Juan Itzep wins Javier Niño Memorial Scholarship

Classical guitar major praised for hard work, strong character, qualities he shares with scholarship’s namesake

The recipients of the 2021 Javier Niño Memorial Scholarship, seniors Juan Itzep of McCallum and Edan Tapia of Akins, play excerpts of solos. Austin Classical Guitar YouTube Channel

By Meredith Grotevant, McCallum High School

Senior Juan Itzep began playing classical guitar as a “random” elective in sixth grade. Seven years later, Itzep played a piece to open a concert for Ana Vidović, one of the world’s greatest living classical guitarists.

Juan works hard, he’s reliable, he’s polite and respectful, he’s a quick learner, and he has a lot of natural ability. He has many of the same great qualities that I remember in Javi.

— guitar teacher Andrew Clark

The opening spot for Vidović is one of many benefits Itzep is getting as a recipient of the Javier Niño Memorial Scholarship Fund. Itzep was chosen as one of the two 2021-2022 recipients of the scholarship in early November.

The fund was established in 2019 through Austin Classical Guitar as a way to support young classical guitarists in the Austin.

“Recipients will receive weekly lessons with a mentor teacher of recognized excellence throughout the school year in which the award is made” the ACG website states. “They will also be eligible for a free instrument, and special access to mentorship and performance opportunities.”

Javier Niño, the namesake of the fund, was a 2018 McCallum graduate and classical guitar major in the Fine Arts Academy. After graduating from McCallum, he began studying computer sciences at St. Edwards University. In 2019, less than two months into his second semester of college, Niño was killed in a collision with a drunk driver.

In his 19 years of life, especially the three he spent at McCallum, Niño left a great impression on those he met.

“Javi was a very enthusiastic guitar player,” McCallum guitar teacher Andrew Clark said. “He was a UIL state guitarist, he worked really hard, he played in a fantastic quartet at McCallum. He was a great all-around student.”

Clark has been able to see many parallels between Niño and Itzep in and outside of their guitar playing.

All I want to do is improve. Being able to get a new guitar motivates me to play even more and practice even more.

— senior guitar major Juan Itzep

“Juan works hard, he’s reliable, he’s polite and respectful, he’s a quick learner, and he has a lot of natural ability. It couldn’t happen to a more deserving student,” Clark said. “He has many of the same great qualities that I remember in Javi.”

Although the death of Niño was devastating for the McCallum community and all who knew him, the creation of the fund in his honor has been seen as a silver lining for many. For Clark, the scholarship being given to a McCallum student only adds to the beauty of Niño’s impact on the school.

“It’s the best possible thing that could come out of something so tragic,” Clark said. “Something positive has come out of this.”

Itzep started learning guitar at Webb Middle School as a sixth grader looking for a fun elective. As most classes do, his first guitar class started slow and taught the basics. But as soon as he picked up a guitar, his talent began to shine.

“The first month when we first started playing guitar, I was very excited to play and to learn it,” Itzep said. “Over time, I got better and better at playing it to a point where I would just play it every day at home.”

Javi was a UIL state guitarist, he worked really hard, and he played in a fantastic quartet at McCallum. He was a great all-around student.

— guitar teacher Andrew Clark

He was later introduced to McCallum by his middle-school guitar director and his love for guitar drove him to attend Mac.

Itzep’s journey with guitar evolved from a slight curiosity to a feverous passion in a short period of time. Moreover, his passion does not seem to be stopping soon and being awarded the scholarship has only added fuel to the fire.

“All I want to do is improve,” Itzep said. “Being able to get a new guitar motivates me to play even more and practice even more.”

Though his future plans are not set in stone, Itzep is sure of one thing: guitar will remain in his life.

“I just want to play guitar in the future. In college, I still want to play guitar.”

This story was originally published on The Shield Online on November 24, 2021.