1885
550
319

Custodians embody proud work ethic

Mario Perez de Leon ’24
Raul Cruz and Manuel Gonzalez are vital members of the Riordan community.

After hours, when classes let out and people start rushing to their clubs, sports, or other commitments, the custodians start their work. Raul Cruz works on the second floor, and Manuel Gonzalez the first.

An under appreciated duo at Riordan, the custodians clean the messes left from the school day, all while maintaining a righteous sense of respect and work ethic.

Their work is just that to them, work. Work that’s important to them, that they put their best towards, and they won’t turn away from.

Gonzalez, the first floor custodian, respectfully declined an interview in order to not be dissuaded from his work. While doing so, he offered respect, and with his hand atop shoulder, sincerely apologized.

Gonzalez helped Cruz find his job at Trinity, the company that employs the two.

“I met him in the apartments I live in. I knew how he worked, what company… When they laid us off he was the one who gave us the number to the company we now work at. He recommended me too,” said Cruz.

The teachers, coaches, new teachers who’ve just arrived, they’re good people… I don’t have a favorite, because they’re all my favorites.

— Raul Cruz, custodian

It’s been eight years since Cruz started working at Riordan. Since then, he has been stationed in different places throughout the school. He has also maintained a connection and mutual respect with students, saying, “What’s amazing is that I find kids that help me with English, and obviously I’ll help them with Spanish… I’ll get a text message I don’t understand, and a student will help me. That’s amazing.”

This connection with the students is mutually shared. Whenever Campus Ministry hosts an event, they always ensure to leave the two a plate. 

Jameson Datoc ’23 and Alex Datoc ’87, Director of Campus Ministry, have known the pair since Jameson was a kid.

“It’s just fond memories of them always saying hi, and my dad speaking to them in Spanish,” Jameson recalled, “They’re always joyful, always happy, always calling people their friend.” 

This connection extends to faculty. English teacher Michael Vezzali-Pascual ’88 has known the two for years.

Awed at their work ethic and friendliness, Vezzali stated, “They are truly wonderful. They put up with my muy malo Spanish. They try to sort through the mess coming out of my mouth and still like me.”

They put up with my muy malo Spanish. They try to sort through the mess coming out of my mouth and still like me.

— Michael Vezzali-Pascual '88, English teacher

Cruz affirmed this, asserting that, “The teachers, coaches, new teachers who’ve just arrived, they’re good people… I don’t have a favorite, because they’re all my favorites.” 

Cruz heavily values respect. He practices it with everybody. As such, he nurtures it within others.

“By giving them my initial respect they give it back, but not out of obligation,” he said.

Respect, he argues, is owed to everybody, and should never be exclusive to just adults but youth as well. 

Some unexpected and sincere vulnerable moments came from the conversations with Gonzalez and Cruz for this interview. Although not included in the article, the shared stories, laments, and advice only further cemented the two as hard working and resilient.

This story was originally published on The Crusader on May 23, 2023.