2156
578
338

Dasari shaping his tomorrow as an aspiring attorney

Coppell High School senior Rishi Dasari holds his barry saxophone after playing for Coppell Band in the UIL State Competition at Alamodome in San Antonio on Oct. 31. Dasari is a varsity saxophone section leader for Coppell Band, a Red Jacket and Coppell Mock Trial president, holding the aspiration of pursuing law in the future. Photo courtesy Rishi Dasari.

Coppell High School senior Rishi Dasari holds a clear vision of pursuing a career as an attorney, often described as a beacon of leadership and dedication throughout CHS.

“I wanted to be an attorney because I was interested in mock trials – case studies were always interesting to me,” Dasari said. “In my junior year, restarting the Coppell Mock Trial Club helped me gain more practice and exposure to how trials work, as debate doesn’t fully stimulate the same feelings and preparation you have to do during a trial.”

Dasari’s passion for mock trials, however, manifested into a desire to become a lawyer. His passion for the courts brought him to an eight-week internship at the Dallas Bar Association’s Summer Law Internship Program in downtown Dallas during the summer of 2023. As part of this program, Dasari was paired with immigration lawyer Yovanna Vargas.

During this program, Dasari actively contributed to the legal world by organizing trial materials, compiling essential documents for clients and corresponding with prospective clients. The experience allowed him to assist with immigration documents, helping clients on their path to obtaining green cards.

“Reviewing case studies within the mock trial club and the internship was interesting, because it forced me to combine all of the fundamentals that I’ve learned so far, while also being able to add my spin,” Dasari said. “I remember when I was told to review any possible discrepancies within each testimony in an immigration law case during  my summer internship, and I was grateful for the practice I gained from practicing within Coppell’s mock trial team.”

Dasari’s work and volunteer experience doesn’t stop at the internship; it extends to several leadership roles. He serves as the president of the Coppell Mock Trial team, an endeavor he has undertaken since September 2022. At the Irving Teen Court, Dasari takes on the role of a teen court attorney, representing teen offenders or the state in trials. Dasari is also actively involved in numerous clubs and organizations. He serves as the treasurer of the Coppell Speech and Debate Club, where he competes as a policy debater.

“Being Rishi’s debate coach since his sophomore year, I think of him as someone reliable and very competent, although sometimes it’s probably difficult for people to see the amazing activities he accomplishes.” CHS debate coach Dr. Jason Sykes said. “Rishi’s passion comes through as commitment. He has done a lot, including bringing back the mock trial on campus, as it was dormant for many years.”

In the CHS band, he leads as the varsity saxophone section leader, a role that extends to planning team-building activities. As a piano tutor with NoteLove, Dasari shares his musical talents with others, fostering a love for music.

Coppell High School senior Rishi Dasari writes his revere dedicated to his debate coach, Dr. Jason Sykes, expressing his gratitude during the Red Jacket lunch on Oct. 26. Dasari is a varsity saxophone section leader for Coppell Band, a Red Jacket and Coppell Mock Trial president, holding the aspiration of pursuing law in the future. (Rhea Choudhary)

Additionally, he is a part of the CHS Red Jackets, where he acts as a student ambassador, promoting student outreach, organizing school events, and delivering announcements.

“I’ve never seen a selfish bone in Rishi’s body because he is a quiet leader and he has an ‘iron sharpens iron mentality,’ meaning you only get better if you surround yourself with people who are equally passionate, or even more so, about the same goals or activities you are,” Red Jackets sponsor Courtney Crosby said. “Rishi is always proactive beforehand before a problem occurs, which helps him communicate effectively.”

Dasari’s commitment to studying law is further highlighted by his involvement in the legal community, yet he still aims to identify his specific area of expertise within the field. His dedication is evident not only in his extensive extracurricular involvement but also through his academic accolades. With an impressive PSAT score, Dasari is a National Merit Semifinalist, along with earning the Gold Presidential Volunteer Service Award.

“I have learned that prioritizing activities is crucial to figure out which activity requires the most amount of time,” Dasari said. “The easiest way to get overwhelmed quickly is to look at everything you have to do as a whole, however, if you work on each piece of work based on its deadline, you are more likely to be more efficient and have a better quality of work.”

Dasari envisions a future in business law, although he is open to exploring various subsets within the field. With a multitude of extracurricular activities and diverse experiences under his belt, Dasari is on the path to shaping his future as an attorney.

“Rishi is very quiet and capable, but he doesn’t like to put on a show or draw any attention to himself,” Dr. Sykes said. “He goes the extra mile to take care of his business to not only get his work done but to provide leadership for others.”

Follow Rhea Choudhary (@rhea_choud) and @CHSCampusNews on X

This story was originally published on Coppell Student Media on November 28, 2023.