2163
578
338

Double trouble in the boxing ring

Knockout duo Grigorian and Barseghyan pack a punch in the arena.
Freshmen+David+Grigorian+and+Hovhannes+Barseghyan+throw+air+punches+during+warmups+for+boxing+practice+on+Dec.+2.+Shadow+boxing+helps+them+work+on+their+footwork%2C+technique+and+form+without+having+to+focus+on+hitting+a+target.+
Maggie Simonyan
Freshmen David Grigorian and Hovhannes Barseghyan throw air punches during warmups for boxing practice on Dec. 2. Shadow boxing helps them work on their footwork, technique and form without having to focus on hitting a target.
Freshman David Grigorian hones his boxing skills during an intense practice session at Flash Enterprises Boxing Academy on Dec. 2. (Maggie Simonyan)

In the heart of Daniel Pearl Magnet High School, a dynamic Armenian duo is emerging from the boxing ring, ready to leave their mark on the world.

Freshmen David Grigorian and Hovhannes Barseghyan, both seasoned boxers with an impressive track record, are not just teammates but great friends who share a passion for the sport of boxing.

Barseghyan, who boasts of an impressive boxing journey of seven years, is inspired by his uncle’s expertise in the field. Barseghyan had been a boxer for a long time before moving from Armenia to the U.S, where he brought his passion for the sport with him.

“I was always watching my uncle boxing,” Barseghyan said. “So then I got into boxing and I boxed for almost seven years.”

But for Grigorian, his inspiration was different. Grigorian found his calling through the legendary Muhammad Ali. Grigorian brings two years of experience to the boxing ring, having a fairly strong understanding of the sport. Grigorian and Barseghyan often challenge themselves to go one step beyond training, attending sparring matches about two times a week.

Both fighters, driven by a shared enthusiasm, find themselves training side by side at the Flash Enterprises Boxing Academy.

“Something about boxing that I like is that it makes you confident, strong physically and mentally,” Grigorian said.

For them, boxing is enjoyable and its thrilling nature involving constant movement, not only makes it a fun sport but also serves as effective cardio. Still, though their commitment to the sport goes beyond just fighting and sparring, they also train and build themselves in the gym.

Despite occupying different weight classes– Grigorian in lightweight and middleweight and Barseghyan in the heavyweight division– their mutual support for one another extends outside of the sport. Juggling academic commitments with the demands of boxing is no easy task. But so far the two have been successful at maintaining this balance in their life.

“It’s good (to find a balance) in this school because they don’t give us much homework so it’s easier,” Grigorian said.

Despite the challenges they may face during practice, they inspire and support each other to persevere. The thought of being able to defend himself and his family is something that Grigorian prizes and he won’t give that up for anything.

“My friend and I want to change and be able to defend ourselves,” Grigorian said. “I want (to be able) to protect myself and to be strong.”

This story was originally published on The Pearl Post on December 15, 2023.