2163
578
338

Acts of Courage

Willie Grubb speaks on his experience as a firefighter
After+cleaning+senior+dining+during+fifth+period+Willie+Grubb+poses+for+a+picture.+
Solily San Miguel
After cleaning senior dining during fifth period Willie Grubb poses for a picture.

When custodian Willie Grubb saw a house burning down as a junior firefighter, he didn’t hesitate to suit up and run in, saving a 2-year-old girl.

“I wasn’t scared, I had heart,” Grubb said. “I went into the fire and I pulled out a [20-year-old] kid. That’s when the chief came to my house and gave me a plaque and said ‘you are now an honorary firefighter.’”

In January, he also had no hesitation saving two students from a trapped elevator.

“His experience [and] background working with the fire department, he knew how to pry open an elevator door,” assistant principal Tony Trevino said. “Thanks to Mr. Willie’s quick action and thinking, the two boys that were trapped were able to escape.”

For Grubb the story is simple.

“They weren’t that far [down], nothing major,” Grubb said. “I called the fire department, once they got here all we had to do was hook this key, and it opened the door. ”

Ever since he was a kid, Grubb has loved firefighting.

“When I was 13 years old, I was a junior firefighter, and I’ve been in love with it ever since,” Grubb said.

The Junior Firefighter Program allows young teens to learn about fire, rescue and medical service response in a safe, controlled, educational and fun way.

Once Grubb turned 18 he took the firefighter test, which determined whether he was able to become a firefighter.

“The guy that taught me about the fire department when I was a young kid, he was a high ranking firefighter, so when I told him how I did [on the test], next thing I know they called me into the cabinet,” Grubb said.

He served the New York fire department for 27 years.

“I look at a lot of things I did in that job,” Grubb said.  “I think back on all of the people I saved [and] a lot of people I’ve lost. It kind of balances out.”

He retired in 2002 and began working for Comal ISD in 2003.

Students enjoy his company and constantly talk to Grubb throughout the day.

“He brings a good environment in the morning everyday,” senior Jacob Badillo said. “ I give him handshakes everyday at lunch.”

Other admin notice the positive communications between him and the students.

“Teenagers thrive off of positive energy,” Trevino said. “He brings a unique background coming out of state, that combined with his life experiences, makes him a very well rounded person.”

The skills and kindness Grubb has is greatly appreciated by all staff and students who know him.

“With his knowledge I think he’s a great addition to the school,” Badillo said. “Especially for emergencies where kids could need firefighting assistance, they wouldn’t have to wait for hours at a time with Willie’s help.”

Grubb has motivation and determination to help others who may need him.

“I’ll be here for as long as I can get up [and] move around,” Grubb said. “I try to keep an uplifted feeling, smile, talk to people, uplift peoples days. Because you never know, you could’ve just saved a life.”

This story was originally published on Valley Ventana on February 27, 2024.