2124
575
333

Teri Rodgers captures 600th win as girls basketball head coach

Rodgers’ achievement is a culmination of success that spans decades, first taking over as head coach in 1997.

Teri Rodgers collected her 600th win as head coach of the New Trier girls basketball team on Feb. 6 against Maine East High School with a final score of 61-45, cementing her status as a New Trier legend in her 26th season.

In the week following, Rodgers’ team defeated Maine West High School and Glenbrook South High School to win the regional championship, stacking a 15th regional title on a career that includes seven sectional championships and three trips to the state finals.

But when asked about what the achievement meant to her, Coach Rodgers couldn’t help but discuss the gratitude she holds for every individual that had made this feat possible.

”What was really fun for me was reflecting back on all of the kids that made this possible. Not only the kids that I’ve coached, but the coaches that I’ve coached with that have made this possible,” Rodgers said.

Rodgers’ selflessness as a person and as a coach stands out when talking to fellow coaches and players.

My whole goal as a coach has been to give as many kids a positive experience in playing sports as possible.

— Teri Rodgers

“She’s very supportive on and off the court,” senior forward Sela Klein said. Committed to play college basketball at Brown University, Klein was the leading scorer and a bright spot in the Trevians’ rollercoaster year.

While the Trevs would run into a stretch of losses at times, Rodgers made it known that winning isn’t the only thing in the program worth taking note of.

“My whole goal as a coach has been to give as many kids a positive experience in playing sports as possible,” Rodgers said. “Wins are secondary.”

Much easier said than done, Rodgers understands that the types of results expected are much higher than many other programs in the state..

“We always have high expectations,” Rodgers said. “Often our expectations are outcome-oriented, so making sure we are focusing our expectations on the process makes it a lot better.”

Rodgers is a players-coach, providing support for her players throughout what can be hectic times for the student-athletes.

“Just being a teacher here I understand the things that the kids are going through, I know when it’s a busy academic time.”

Senior guard and Bowdoin recruit Kate Saccaro echoed these same sentiments when talking about Rodgers.

“She really cares about all of her players and builds relationships with everyone on the team,” Saccaro said. “She’s super supportive to us all.”

Saccaro has been looking up to coach Rodgers long before she began playing for the Trevians, telling The Record North Shore: “I always wanted her approval,” while playing basketball in middle school.

A psychology teacher at New Trier, Rodgers pointed out the benefits she has earned in coaching and teaching.

“Coaching is teaching, and teaching is coaching,” Rodgers said. “I’ve learned to be a better teacher because I’m a coach, and I’ve learned to be a better coach because I’m a teacher.”

Rodgers brings this type of positive impact to the New Trier girls basketball program with her actions, not her words, as she’s let five 30-win seasons during her career speak for themselves.

But, the last few years have not been as fortunate for the Trevs, with this year’s regional championship snapping a regional title drought of seven years.

While the outgoing senior class was a strong one for the Trevs, Rodgers will have this regional championship to build on in the future.

This story was originally published on New Trier News on March 11, 2024.