2163
578
338

Superintendent resigns from position

Bella Soful
Superintendent Dr. Michael Tefs stands with School Resource Officer Scott Dressler and District Treasurer Richard Berdine.

Revere Schools District Superintendent Dr. Michael Tefs has resigned from the position but is staying with Revere until the end of his contract in July.

After three years of calling snow days, organizing district wide events, attending sporting events, board meetings, and much more, Tefs has officially decided to step down from the position as superintendent and move on to different opportunities. Tefs has done a lot for the Revere Schools District and the board is currently going through a hiring process in hopes to find someone that can fill his shoes.

Tefs explained what a normal morning looks like for him. As superintendent, he makes many big decisions, and these decisions are made during crucial moments. He highlighted one big decision that he is in charge of making for Revere.

“Most superintendents I know, their alarm clock goes off at 4:45. If we’re going to ever have something going on where we might have to pivot to our delay [or] cancel school, that decision has to be made in about a 45 minute window,” Tefs said.

Not only does Tefs have early mornings, but he also stays out late attending all of the events that make Revere unique. Tefs attends a variety of different events to see all the different types of students in action.

“It’s a long night because of all of the activities that go on in the evening. From our arts, band [and] choir to athletics, you try to engage. And that’s where, as superintendent, I get to see the students,” Tefs said.

Keith Malick, president of Revere School Board, also spoke on Tefs’ involvement and mentioned how every time he is at a Revere event he spots Tefs.

“Every time I come to an event, I see him. Whether it’s a play, a basketball game, a softball game, he’s typically there,” Malick said.

Tefs explained his main objective for Revere. He noted that he looks at the school system like a domino effect, if the teacher experience is positive, then the student experience will be, too.

“If we can get structures, systems and protocols right with the adults, the adults will have a massive impact on our students, which is the most important piece,” Tefs said.

Tefs touched on how the objective that he implemented received great feedback from the Revere community.

“I think it’s been well received. Our teachers have appreciated it, our classified staff, from our custodians to our bus drivers [to] our secretaries have appreciated the opportunity to weigh in on their working conditions,” Tefs said.

Dr. Andrew Peltz, principal of Revere High School, often works alongside Tefs. They both came into the district together three years ago and have had many accomplishments. Peltz spoke about the overall experience he has had working with Tefs and how much he has learned.

“He has taught me how to lead with grace and start student-centered initiatives,” Peltz said.

Peltz touched on the magnitude of qualities that Tefs has that makes him such a good superintendent.

“He has such a wealth of knowledge and he leads with compassion and empathy. It’s really nice to find someone and work with someone who shares a lot of my same educational philosophies and how to treat people,” Peltz said.

Tefs spoke about some of his favorite parts of Revere, mainly focusing on the student body. Since he goes to so many events, he gets to interact and communicate with the student body on almost a daily basis.

“I have enjoyed the students. The student body has been a lot of fun . . . You get a chance to see the impact that adults can make,” Tefs said.

Tefs also addressed his experience as a whole and reflected on his time at Revere.

“It’s been a lot of work. I mean, there’s been a lot of hours in it, but it’s been a lot of fun,” Tefs said.

Peltz brought up how important Tefs’ role as superintendent is in the Revere community and how people often look to him during situations.

“[A superintendent’s role is] huge. It sets the tone for everyone else,” Peltz said.

Malick addressed the process that comes when there is a superintendent resignation. He mentioned how they hire an outside search firm that facilitates the process, but also that the community has a big say as well in order to find someone that matches all of their needs.

“Our teachers have a voice, our students have a voice, our parents. It’s a collaborative effort to try and ensure that we get the right fit for Revere,” Malick said.

Peltz explained that he and Tefs have made significant progress with their plans for Revere and that Tefs has accomplished a magnitude of things. Because of this, Peltz is not worried about the steps to come and believes that the transition will go smoothly.

“Dr. Tefs is leaving the district in a very positive place. In our three years together, we’ve started so many initiatives and have a positive momentum moving forward that I believe whoever takes over next will have the advantage that a lot of the hard work has already been started,” Peltz said.

Tefs explained that his future plans are private, and that he made this decision for himself and his family.

“When you walk into superintendency, it’s very public, but on your way out, it’s very private,” Tefs said.

It is clear the impact Tefs has made on the Revere community. He has contributed an immense amount to Revere and the hunt to find a superintendent like him will take a magnitude of time and community involvement.

This story was originally published on Lantern on February 29, 2024.